Dimmer Switch Install Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to install a dimmer switch in my dining room. When I took off the wall plate, I noticed the existing switch has only two wires (both black) connected to it. This is located in a cluster of three switches, the dining room switch being in the middle.

My new dimmer switch has three slots - the two on the bottom and the ground on top. When I hooked up the two black into the bottom two holes, the switch lit up (the switch itself lights up when it is off), and when I switched it "on", the switch part turned off but still nothing in the dining room. I thought maybe it was cuz it wasn't grounded. I attached the ground to the ground wires in the box, but still nothing. I'm very frustrated!! Any ideas since I'm "electricity-challenged"?

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you have a two way dimmer switch, if so tryconnecting one wire in the top (marked c) and the other wire should be in the one at the bottom (marked L1)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back