2-way dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do they exist?

We're having a wall knocked down between our kitchen an dining room tomorrow and I'm wondering if we could have a dimmer switch for what was the dining room and a normal switch for the kitchen spots.

Has anyone seen any mixed switches with a dimmer and normal on/off switch together?

More importantly though as there is a switch on either side of the dining room, are 2-way dimmer switches available?

Sponsored Links
You will find most dimmers are 2way as standard, I've never seen a 2gang with a normal switch and a dimmer, your best bet would be to go to an electrical wholesaler and get your self a 2gang grid and yoke then a grid form dimmer and grid form switch.
Unless someone else knows of a switch, the only ones I have seen do have a switch and dimmer but the switch just over rides the dimmer.

There you go echoes post shows what I'm on about with the grids

Sponsored Links
If you are wanting to dim the same light from two locations then you'll need a master/slave type setup, you cannot have two bog standard dimmer switches controlling the same light.

You can have a 2 way dimmer switch and a normal 2 way switch controlling the same light.
How about a normal bog standard 2 gang switch for the kitchen/dining rm and replace the other dining rm switch with a normal 2 way dimmer switch? :?:

Thinking about what you've said I guess we don't really need a dimmer switch at each end.

We could just have a normal switch for on/off and have one two way switch at the other end for when we want to dim the lights which in all honesty wouldn't be that often anyway.

Problem solved.

Cheers guys, I'm just plain thick sometimes and need someone to remind me I have my own brain now and again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back