Dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Just a quick question - and probably a stupid one that I think I know the answer to!

But.. Can a 2-way dimmer be paired with another 2-way switch and an intermediate switch?

i.e. does the 2-way dimmer act like a normal 2-way switch apart from the variable output?

I want my dining room light to be dimmed on a push-dimmer from the dining room - with toggle switches by the doors in the two adjacent rooms.

Thanks,

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
But.. Can a 2-way dimmer be paired with another 2-way switch and an intermediate switch?
Yes.

i.e. does the 2-way dimmer act like a normal 2-way switch apart from the variable output?
Yes. But the "apart from" is quite important.

I want my dining room light to be dimmed on a push-dimmer from the dining room - with toggle switches by the doors in the two adjacent rooms.
When you turn it on via one of those switches, do you want it to only come on at whatever brightness it was set to when it was last on, and to have to walk over to the dimmer to change it?

If so then what you propose will work. If you want to be able to control the brightness from 3 locations you'll need a master dimmer and two slaves.

When you turn it on via one of those switches, do you want it to only come on at whatever brightness it was set to when it was last on, and to have to walk over to the dimmer to change it?

That is right - i'm not concerned with independent dimming. I'll wait until it's all digital and standardised... 20 years away?

So thanks for confirming :)

Sponsored Links

Most are probably similar, but if you buy a master/slave set, follow the instructions which come with the ones you've bought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back