CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELLO

Well i know this is going to sound really stupid but i really need to fix this
so anyway
my husband is away for the week and the lights on my second floor are not working they just blew last night, so i looked on google this morning trying to find how to fix it and it said i had to take the fuse wire out and change it so i went and bought the fuse wire but when i opened the fuse box their is no fuse wire in their just amp thingys,
their is 3 big red 30 amp fuses 2 5 amp fuses one of which is not in their at all and one little tiny fuse not sure what size it is cos it dont say
anyway the box itself isnt labelled so i dont know which one has blown and i dont want to take all the fuses to the diy place incase he things im an idiot
so can someone please tell me how do i know what one to change and what size is that little tiny one
sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting but i really am confused now, any help would be greatly appreciated :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Given your admitted lack of knowledge in this area (nothing to be ashamed of!) I think it would be unwise to offer any advice to you that involved sticking your fingers in the fuse box. Do you have any neighbours or friends who might be familiar with this who could help you? Failing that ask a local electrician to call in. I.m sure it would be a very low cost call.

I don't mean this to sound patronising, sometimes it's wise to know our limits.

lol

yes this is true and yes i have absolutly no idea what it is i am trying to do i did ask a friend this morning but they also have no idea i may go down to b and q they usually have someone around who can explain in parrot fashion what to do.

cheers anyway

Elladee, there is a pretty basic guide to fuses here.
But the best bet for you might be to find a good local electrician. If it is just a blown fuse it won’t be an expensive job, it depends on what caused the fuse to blow in the first place…

Sponsored Links
Thank you

i dont know whatblew it i think i might have been a new light buld i put in it may have been to strong but im not sure

ooops :oops:

If you have a digital camera and are able to post a pic of the things in your fusebox we may know what to do

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

If not please describe colour, brand, and any words and numbers you see on the box and in the red, blue and white items inside it.

For the last 20 years or so fusewires have become less common and Consumer Units might contain a cartridge fuse, or have a circuit breaker that can be switched back on after it trips.

To change a fuse or to reset a breaker you may need to open a hinged cover, but will not need a screwdriver to open the unit itself.

If, as is very likely unless you have quite an old house, you have breakers not fusewire, it wil be far easier than is shown in the Fuses link. There are a couple of good pics at the bottom of http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/diy_electrics_consumer_unit.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back