can someone identify this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hopefully someone can identify this and whether its serving any purpose.

Its on the supply pipe coming into the house and looks to have been fitted at the same time as the stopcock below it. The house was built in the early seventies.

Many thanks for looking
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hello there,

Looks like a shock arrester.......probably installed to prevent banging from the pipes when a particular tap/ washing machine valve or whatever is operated.

Regards

Heeley

Looks like a 1/2" Nipple, a 1/2 x 3/4" reducer, and a 3/4 Cap.

All in steel and waiting to corrode, of course it could be galc but don't look like it.

It just looks like a "bodge-up" job to blank off the Tee, IMO. :eek:

617.jpg

Probably didnt have one of these. ( male Screw stop end)
ae235

At a guess it probably had a screw drain off cock fitted originally.

ae235

Sponsored Links
:eek: arrestor , no it`s a bodged plug where the draincock washer broke and it leaked a bit - someone then plugged it :idea:

What semi-trained chimpanzee would do that to plug a 1/2" thread when there are a million and one outlets you can get a 1/2" plug from?

If it is a shock arrestor Neil then how does it work!

Tony

It works because inside is a small chamber of gas and a piston, I suppose it's a bit like a shock absorber like on a pair of modern mountain bike forks. Go to my random folder and you will see two pictures of calefi shock arresters, as having trouble posting them on here at the moment.

Many thanks for all your answers - I'll leave it as is for the moment and look to replace it when the rest of the kitchen gets done.

The reason I was asking was I have just plumbed in an outside tap from the tee in the very top of the photo and haven't got as much pressure as I was expecting for running a sprinkler on a new back lawn. I had wondered if that device was dropping the pressure, but I can't see an arrestor doing that.

Thanks again......

Sprinkler manufacturers' data for the range of the spray is often based on 6 bar dynamic pressure and high flow - much of the UK is at around 1.5 - 2 bar dynamic on a good day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back