Can these lights be connected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Of course they can be connected. They are mains lights.
You just need to organise one switch with a (mains-rated) cable out to the first light set and then loop to the second and third. Mains plug with 3A fuse to feed in to the switch.

SImples!

Personally I would create a free standing ( or hanging ) panel ( false wall ) just large enough to hold the lamps and the mirror. Much less trouble than getting cable to the right places behind the existing plaster board of the wall. Also if ( when ) you daughter changes her mind about the the wall doesn't have to be patched up.

Part of the lamps are stainless steel which might need to be Earthed. Instructions are not clear and show only two wires ( Live and Neutral )

Personally I would create a free standing ( or hanging ) panel ( false wall ) just large enough to hold the lamps and the mirror. Much less trouble than getting cable to the right places behind the existing plaster board of the wall. Also if ( when ) you daughter changes her mind about the the wall doesn't have to be patched up.

Part of the lamps are stainless steel which might need to be Earthed. Instructions are not clear and show only two wires ( Live and Neutral )

Thanks, so just a case of running an earth wire from the plug to each lamp casing?

Sponsored Links
Bernard said
which might need to be Earthed
DO NOT earth the lights, unless the instructions say that you should.
Every light I have see from IKEA is Class II (Double Insulated). It will have a logo on it like this

The Cables themselves, should have an earth conductor, earthed at the supply end, even if the lights themselves do not need an earth!

Last month I saw some lamps that were supposedly Class II and had the square in a square symbol. The insulation between the touchable metal and the Live conductors was only the insulation on the wiring, a single layer of insulation.

The retailer has accepted they were not as advertised and has removed that item from sale. ( It is a reputable retail company )

Adding an earth to the exposed metal would have made the lamp safe ( for that particular application ) if ( when ) the single layer of insulation failed as there is an RCD to detect earth leakage and cut the supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back