Can this be done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone tell me if this new digital thermostat can be fitted ?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'd say no based on the info so far, but you'd have to look at the other end of that cable to see what each wire is assigned to do.
You need a neutral, and you need your heating to be triggered by a normally open on off demand signal.

I'd say no based on the info so far, but you'd have to look at the other end of that cable to see what each wire is assigned to do.
You need a neutral, and you need your heating to be triggered by a normally open on off demand signal.
He's got a neutral, right there in the photo. What he may not have, is a permanent Live

Sponsored Links
You need a permanent live and switched live in and out.
Depending how it works you could bring switched live common from timer into 4 red and link 4 and 1, with yellow coming back out of 2.
Neutral stays the same
This only works if no memory of times/temps stored in stat as each time programmer turned off you lose the live.

Other option is use earth wire as your permanent live by picking a live up back at junction box as new stat doesn’t look to have an earth.

He's got a neutral, right there in the photo. What he may not have, is a permanent Live
I agree that he's got a wire identified by blue insulation, but that could mean anything especially in a 3C+E with old colours. None of those wires are sleeved in brown or red as they should be (assuming not the unlikely event it's a three phase Delta appliance) so i can assume the person who fitted it wasn't fully up on the regs. I wouldn't advise the op to assume it's neutral without some testing first.

It’s twin and earth so I wouldn’t. (Some might) :whistle:
Correct as there's no actual insulation on it.
However judging by the wallpaper it probably has plasterboard so it may be feasible to pull through a flex with more cores using the existing 3C+e as a draw wire

I agree that he's got a wire identified by blue insulation, but that could mean anything especially in a 3C+E with old colours. None of those wires are sleeved in brown or red as they should be (assuming not the unlikely event it's a three phase Delta appliance) so i can assume the person who fitted it wasn't fully up on the regs. I wouldn't advise the op to assume it's neutral without some testing first.

Not only does he have a wire identified by blue insulation, but it is also connected to the neutral terminal on the existing thermostat. I'd say there's a pretty good chance it's a neutral ;)

Not only does he have a wire identified by blue insulation, but it is also connected to the neutral terminal on the existing thermostat. I'd say there's a pretty good chance it's a neutral ;)
Was thinking this myself :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back