Can this boiler create hot water, or only heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our church had two of these fitted a few years back to replace a very old boiler (large Victorian style cast iron heating pipes). Historically we've never had hot water but are updating the kitchen and wondered if these can do that.
We can't get in touch with the installer and I figure an expert can probably tell very easily if this boiler has the ability to supply hot taps, I looked it up on their website but it doesn't mean much to me.
Thanks very much for any help.
PXL_20221101_161656858.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hello, yes it can but via a hot water cylinder and controls, not like a Combi boiler does. Hope this makes some sense?

a church will only normally be using HW for hand washing, so financially best bet would be a small electrically heated unit in each bathroom , to use the boiler will be in the costs of thousands to install header tanks and a cylinder

Unless a Baptist church.

A voluntary organisation I am involved with occasionally uses large amounts of hot water in the kitchens for washing up and food prep, and uses undercounter vented hot water heaters. 5litres is not enough, but 15l will fill a large sink. We need two. You have to have handwashing faciluties at all times.

We have 3kW instant handwash heaters in some of the toilets and they are completely useless. A waste of money.

We have a vented combination cylinder , I think Santon, with own integrated cold water tank attached above, to feed the main and disabled toilets, which can have dozens of users in peaks, so is 90 litres. If the building was more compact, it could do the kitchens as well. Modern insulation keeps it hot for days. It has an immersion heater. It would not be much more difficult to plumb one to the boilers.

The electric heaters are best run with a press-button timer switch to save them running on days when the building is not being used. Preferably near the entry door, by the lighting switch. If your building is used most days , immersion type timers would remove the need for manual intervention.

Sponsored Links
I guess you just want to know if there is a hw outlet on the boiler you could connect to for instantaneous hot water, in short no (as suggested it isn't a combi boiler).

There may be an alternative where a plate HEX could be installed with a flow switch and 2 port valve but again that comes down to whether it would be cost effective or not.

I guess you just want to know if there is a hw outlet on the boiler you could connect to for instantaneous hot water, in short no (as suggested it isn't a combi boiler).

There may be an alternative where a plate HEX could be installed with a flow switch and 2 port valve but again that comes down to whether it would be cost effective or not.
Yeah this answers the question I was trying to ask well.
It's interesting to note it could supply a cylinder based system but that doesn't sound practical... The toilets are the opposite end of the building with electrical heaters so it's only the kitchen which would be used typically an hour a couple of times a week.
I'm not a fan of the 'instant' heaters with small internal tanks really and we can't afford something like Quooker but heigh ho. At least we know the options.

Thanks

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
This is the sort of thing we use in the kitchen.

The handwash unit can be smaller if it will not be in constant use.

A 3kW heater makes hot water at a rate of about 1 litre per minute

So if you had two sinks in use at the same time you would need two.

we can't afford something like Quooker
I have to admit they are horrendously expensive
I'm not a fan of the 'instant' heaters with small internal tanks
That's exactly what a quooker is tho, it's a heater with a small internal tank, the difference is the temp it heats it to. Normal under counter heaters - 10/15/30L - hold the HW @ ~60deg, quooker holds the temp @100 deg.

Thanks @Madrab - I figured it was so expensive because it could heat water on the fly which is no easy task (basically a combi boiler).
It sounds like one (or two, as we need a dedicated handwash sink for hygiene rating in a 'commercial' space) of these sorts of things is the obvious answer then. I do like the idea that they can use a regular socket in many cases. Although then you get into issues with socket proximity to taps and 'wet zones' but that's probably off-topic for this section of the forum and we'd let the electrician figure it out!

zones apply to bathrooms.

A bathroom is a room containing a fixed bath or shower.

A kitchen is not a bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back