Just realised my heating only comes on with hot water

Valve looks to be in the CH pipe not HW.

There seems to be about 5 or 6 pipes coming from the boiler to that cupboard
They will be:
Cold feed from small tank (feed and expansion) in loft
Vent pipe to small tank
CH feed
CH return
HW feed
HW return.

The HW pipes should go directly to the boiler with nothing else (pump/valve) in the way
The CH pipes should connect via the valve and the pump.

Sponsored Links
They will be:
Cold feed from small tank (feed and expansion) in loft
Vent pipe to small tank
CH feed
CH return
HW feed
HW return.

The HW pipes should go directly to the boiler with nothing else (pump/valve) in the way
The CH pipes should connect via the valve and the pump.

Yes with a lot of other pipes in that cupboard.

HW circuit is direct with only gate valves in between. Zone valve on heating pipe.

Would it be possible to install another pump and zone valve on the HW circuit so it’s pumped?

you cant have another pump but it will be possible to add another zone valve and alter the pipework to make it a fully pumped system

Sponsored Links
Ok, looks like pump is on the return heating pipe. Zone valve on heating flow, although the CH feed tee’s off and only one branch has the zone valve on it - confusing

Last edited:
Ok, looks like pump is on the return heating pipe. Zone valve on heating flow, although the HW feed tee’s off and only one branch has the zone valve on it - confusing
Having the pump on the return was fairly standard; nowadays it's always on the flow.

Are you saying that HW feed is tee'd off the CH flow? If so, that's very unusual.

You best option is to get someone in to advise how to convert to S plan. If you don't know anyone, ask your friends/neighbours - but don't approach British Gas as all they will suggest is that you need a new boiler. That will happen - eventually.

Having the pump on the return was fairly standard; nowadays it's always on the flow.

Are you saying that HW feed is tee'd off the CH flow? If so, that's very unusual.

You best option is to get someone in to advise how to convert to S plan. If you don't know anyone, ask your friends/neighbours - but don't approach British Gas as all they will suggest is that you need a new boiler. That will happen - eventually.

I’ve asked a few heating engineers to visit and quote.

I think capping off 28mm hw feed & return, then move pump to flow side and add another zone valve should do it theoretically, with the magnetic filter on the return.

Last edited:

needs a poewrflush

needs a poewrflush
Probably does, but won’t bother as i’ll be changing everything in about a year or so when I extend. All rads etc need replacing anyway

I have a adey magnacleanse which i’ll hook up once the magnetic filter is in place, to clear what I can

Last edited:
Probably does, but won’t bother as i’ll be changing everything in about a year or so when I extend. All roads etc need replacing anyway

I have a adey magnacleanse which i’ll hook up once the magnetic filter is in place, to clear what I can
I was teasing as a joke for the professionals on here , I doubt very much that you need a powerflush

when setting your system to an s plan will require a drain down and refill so just ask the engineer to carry out a proper flush when doing it

So hard getting people out to quote. Out of the people I contacted, only 1 came out and haven't heard back from him with his quote. May end up having to do this myself, which I was trying to avoid.

your problem is because of a few issues, most new installers to the industry only throw a combi boiler at the wall after taking another combi out so wouldnt really know where to start, this time of year most established businesses are fully booked and to take on a job like this could be very time consuming so not a lot of people willing to take a project like this on at this time of year, sorry I dont know anyone to recommend in Birmingham but there are a few on here who maybe could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back