Just realised my heating only comes on with hot water

your problem is because of a few issues, most new installers to the industry only throw a combi boiler at the wall after taking another combi out so wouldnt really know where to start, this time of year most established businesses are fully booked and to take on a job like this could be very time consuming so not a lot of people willing to take a project like this on at this time of year, sorry I dont know anyone to recommend in Birmingham but there are a few on here who maybe could.

Thanks Ianmcd, I know what you mean.

Should I diy it? I have most of the parts now, just waiting on a few. Plan to change to a S-plan with 3 zone valves, new pump and cyclinder stat

Sponsored Links
Sorry , I am not really in a position to advise if you could DIY it, absolutely nothing to stop you DIYing it but I know lots of so called Pros, who are never off the phone asking for advice on S plan systems, I much prefer S plan to Y plan but simply my preference, both work extremely well when installed correctly, I have never seen your system so dont know if it would be straight forward or not, what I will say there is a very high chance that you will come across something when starting this project that needs attention, remember that as your existing system is open vented , you are very unlikely to be able to just put a zone valve on the HW circuit unless the expansion pipe is independent and comes straight off the boiler, they usually come off the Tee going into the HW cylinder so putting a zone valve on this is not allowed and would need a re-pipe

Sorry , I am not really in a position to advise if you could DIY it, absolutely nothing to stop you DIYing it but I know lots of so called Pros, who are never off the phone asking for advice on S plan systems, I much prefer S plan to Y plan but simply my preference, both work extremely well when installed correctly, I have never seen your system so dont know if it would be straight forward or not, what I will say there is a very high chance that you will come across something when starting this project that needs attention, remember that as your existing system is open vented , you are very unlikely to be able to just put a zone valve on the HW circuit unless the expansion pipe is independent and comes straight off the boiler, they usually come off the Tee going into the HW cylinder so putting a zone valve on this is not allowed and would need a re-pipe
I prefer S plan as well, I've done a new instillation before just not existing.

The expansion pipe looks to Tee off the HW flow (28mm pipe) before the connection to the cylinder. So I have a 28mm Flow and return to cylinder, then a separate 22mm flow & return for CH with pump on this return. The CH flow has a tee in it, with a zone valve on one leg which serves upstairs, this is controlled by a separate thermostat.

I was thinking of doing the following

1. capping the 28mm feeds as they come into the cupboard and just after the expansion pipe on the flow.
2. remove pump off return
3. install new pump on flow
4. after pump a a bypass to return and Tee to split CH & HW
5. Zone valve on HW flow circuit before connection to cylinder
6. Add additional zone valve on heating flow for downstairs
7. put magnetic filter on return
8. get it wired up

you will still have to make a permanent expansion pipe from the boiler to the F&E tank, before the HW zone valve or when the HW is satisfied you will not have an expansion for your system

Sponsored Links
you will still have to make a permanent expansion pipe from the boiler to the F&E tank, before the HW zone valve or when the HW is satisfied you will not have an expansion for your system
That makes sense. Could I put in the expansion pipe after the pump or does it need to go before the pump? I could then connect this to the existing expansion pipe further up in the cupboard

Last edited:
better before the pump but if not feasible after will work, yes connect to existing but dont tee it in you will have to blank off the connection to the HW coil above the T piece, good idea to put an air release point where you blank this off

better before the pump but if not feasible after will work, yes connect to existing but dont tee it in you will have to blank off the connection to the HW coil above the T piece, good idea to put an air release point where you blank this off
Thanks Ian.

I'll draw up some diagrams and annotate pictures if I decide to do it, just to be sure I've got it right. I think the rad in the bathroom is run on the HW circuit and looks like it comes off the vent pipe as well, but would need to check again

Would vent pipe be on the flow or return in my current system?

Last edited:
should be on the flow and if an old system you are probably correct the bathroom radiator was often connected to this to act as a heat dump and you could warm towels on it

Hi Ian,

Would there usually be a vent on the pumped part as well of current system or only the HW circuit?

You may save a few quid by supplying the parts, but you will then have the hassle if one of the parts is faulty; and the installer could, quite legitimately, charge you labour for removing and replacing the faulty part. If the installer buys the part he is responsible if it is faulty.

You may save a few quid by supplying the parts, but you will then have the hassle if one of the parts is faulty; and the installer could, quite legitimately, charge you labour for removing and replacing the faulty part. If the installer buys the part he is responsible if it is faulty.
I already have most of the parts and he was happy with me doing this - all are brand new. He actually said I would save money if I did this.

Is the labour charge correct?

I don't know what labour rates are in the Birmingham area. You would need to get other quotes to know if the labour charge is correct.

If you think the job is worth £400 to you and you trust the guy, go for it.

This is the existing vent pipe which is tee'd into the 28mm flow on the HW circuit. If i cut this just above the tee and put an air release in it and connect the rest of the vent pipe to the pumped flow before the pump? the 28mm tee will be capped on the end which currently goes to the cylinder

Attachments

• 933-DE6-B1-415-E-402-F-AB52-09-B7-D75771-F2.jpg
    933-DE6-B1-415-E-402-F-AB52-09-B7-D75771-F2.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 64

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back