Can this Type of Tap be repaired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got a leaking tap and after a few YT vids I thought, I can fix this... Not lol.

I got the top fixings off which I then thought I can just take out the cartridge and source a new one, but the cartridge (Internals) doesn't want to budge (soaked in WD40 etc).

So Can this be repaired and do I need to take the tap completely out to remove the internals to do so? (this came with the house Barratts, so have no info on the tap).

There is a circlip on there, but no idea what that is for or if that can help?

Thanks for any help guys!

2022-05-02%2015.15.45.jpg

2022-05-02%2015.15.51.jpg

Sponsored Links
The large brass hexagon can be unscrewed.....if you can hold the tap body firmly enough!
The circlip just holds the internal part of the tap cartridge together and there's no need to remove it here.
Try Lunns.net for a cartridge replacement - you may get lucky! The sheds hold a few replacements but an exact replacement is necessary.
John :)

you need a ring spanner that is a really good fit on the nut. brass nuts are easily rounded off by a spanner that does not fit perfectly, especially open-enders

preferably grip the tap body with a tool of the same length and squeeze the handles together so you are not twisting the tap.

or look up the price of a new tap

when you put it back together, put PTFE tape on the threads.

Thanks guys! I have a ring spanner with a nice fit on it, but it does not want to budge! I may have to bring out the big hammer lol.

Sponsored Links
If you can borrow a battery impact wrench and a deep drive socket that would be great......you need to stop the tap turning on the basin which is easier said than done.
I think you'll find any replacement cartridge will have an O ring seal......maybe that one has some sealant in there.

If you can borrow a battery impact wrench and a deep drive socket that would be great......you need to stop the tap turning on the basin which is easier said than done.
I think you'll find any replacement cartridge will have an O ring seal......maybe that one has some sealant in there.

I have an Impact driver, i'll go and see if any of my deep sockets fit! Cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks guys! I have a ring spanner with a nice fit on it, but it does not want to budge! I may have to bring out the big hammer lol.

Put the ring spanner on the hex, such that the spanner is a little way to the right side of the spout. Now take a piece of wood or similar to act as a lever and insert it near vertically through between spout and spanner handle. If you then lever the spanner with your wood to the right, it will move and without damage to the chrome of the spout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back