Can you ‘Over Ram’ a computer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son built a computer and his Ram (2x16gb 3600mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengence) was the last thing to arrive.

For a week he successfully used a single stick of his brothers Ram (1x16gb 2666mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengance).

When his own Ram turned up he plugged both onto his motherboard (X570 MSI A-Pro) and the computer didn’t boot up. He had various lights come on on the motherboard.

Could the ram be too fast or otherwise not compatible with his motherboard? Or would anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
His power supply is 650w, not sure if the bigger ram would affect that.

The motherboard will have a certain amount of RAM that it can take. I think if you put more than that amount in, it's not recognised but it will still work.

Ian,
Strange, it should be okay as that is a normal amount of memory for modern MBoards.

Remind us what the MBoard is so we can check what it allows.
(my old MBoard for example takes a max of 8gb in each of its four slots). And I have to fill slots in correct order to maximise performance.

Also, are you using windows 10 home or Windows 10 professional.

From my memory Home can utilise a maximum of 16 GB. Professional more than 32Gb

And finally, did you try it with one stick of 16GB in one slot? And can you see it in the bios at startup (press F2 or some other F key to load it at the very start).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its usually the operating system that can't work with too much RAM (needs to be 64 bit OS these days), not heard of a mobo failing to power up.
Swap the sticks. Make sure they're pressed home?

I’m looking at it now and it starts up like little brothers did at Christmas but when I click the options to the left it lists the CPU, both the 16gb sticks but doesn’t show his SSD which is a 512gb Samsung 970 EVO plus. It says there is no storage. I took the SSD off then put it back on and no difference.
CEC9DCAD-4107-4FE9-876C-6303FED5A4D2.jpeg

E62ADF06-6186-433D-AE8F-949656523086.jpeg

Ian,
Strange, should be okay.

Remind us what the MBoard is so we can check what it allows.
(my old MBoaed for example takes a max of 8gb in each of its four slots). And I have to fill slots in correct order to maximise performance.

Also, are you using windows 10 home or Windows 10 professional.

From my memory Home can utilise a maximum of 16 GB. Professional more.

And finally, did you try it with one stick if 16GB in one slot?

It’s an MSI X570 A-Pro but not sure if it Windows Home or Pro. I think it might be Home because we put that on little brothers and we used the same e-bay ‘key’ on both machines.

With 1 stick in he says it worked but kept restarting.

Its usually the operating system that can't work with too much RAM (needs to be 64 bit OS these days), not heard of a mobo failing to power up.
Swap the sticks. Make sure they're pressed home?

I wonder if that’s the problem?

This thing also suggests no SSD but it’s there:

DF44270C-9408-4EF8-8881-DE678152C746.jpeg

That board should be able to take 64 Gb in 2 x 32 gig sticks. The usual culprit when boards don't work after RAM is installedf is because one of the sticks isn't seated properly.

That board should be able to take 64 Gb in 2 x 32 gig sticks. The usual culprit when boards don't work after RAM is installedf is because one of the sticks isn't seated properly.
They are showing as installed on the setup page so I’m sure they are in right.

There are options in the BIOS to enable it to see the NVMR drive.
OR it may be that its incorrectly seated, re fit it.

I initially had problems like this, the BIOS sorted it. (cannot remember the setting).

you have to be quite brave seating it...its a fair bit of pressure

I wouldnt have thought the benefits of more ram would be utilised in windows home version -doesnt it need 64

There are options in the BIOS to enable it to see the NVMR drive.
OR it may be that its incorrectly seated, re fit it.

I’m sure it’s seated correctly, how would I get the bios to see it?

Sponsored Links
Back