Can you adjust the sensitivity of a PIR sensor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a PIR light on the front of the house which works great, but it doesn't have any adjustment on it that I can find. As soon as the sky goes overcast it will turn on when I walk past it which is getting annoying now that I'm actually home in daylight.

Is there any way I can fiddle it so that it only goes off when its properly dark? I don't particularly want to replace the unit as it's part of the light and also matches a second non-pir light on the same wall.

Sponsored Links
it depends entirely on the light..

some PIR's have a preset "dusk" level and cannot be adjusted... these usually have a fixed time also..

if there are 2 screw holes or nobs on the back then yes it can be adjusted..

As soon as the sky goes overcast it will turn on when I walk past it

so the PIR is working fine, its the daylight sensor that says its dark when its not?

As said it depends on ther brand / make as to what you can adjust.
One other thing is the lens itself grubby? it may be if you will, wearing a pair of sunglasses and it thinks its darker than it is, all becuse it needs a bit of a clean,
damp soapy cloth should be fine

Sponsored Links
I couldn't see any adjustment on it last time I took a look but I'll take it down again this afternoon (seeing that the forcasted heavy rain is actually glorious sunshine!) and double check there's no adjustment round the back of it.

I've checked that the pir is clean, so it's looking like I'll be buying a new.

thanks as always.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back