PIR Disco lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a couple of PIR lights on the front of my house. Problem is, even with the sensitivity turned right down, they still come on when a car goes past.
The lights are about 8m from the road.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the sensitivity even more - ie, stick something over the sensor, like they do with pet PIR's for house alarms?

Sponsored Links
Can you angle the sensor down so it isn't looking at the road? You can also mask them using insulation tape (pref on the inside of the lense) if you need to.

If the PIR is adjustable, point it down. It will still detect people coming up the drive.

At least you are conscious of the problem and have tried a solution. Many people with these sensors simply fit and ignore. Theres a house nearby with a 500w halogen floodlight on a PIR. I can walk past across the road and it will come on. FFS. Been like this for at least 5 years. I wouldnt mind but the house is on a corner with sodium streetlights on all sides!

Sponsored Links
Do you put the tape on the top edge, so it's effectively looking down?
Its a case of try it and see.

They do this with alarm systems, where theres different zones in an open area. The detectors are masked from each other using tippex or similar inside the lens.

The sensor is fixed unfortunately.

Do you put the tape on the top edge, so it's effectively looking down?

doesn't work like that.

most pirs now have a fresnel lens, if you mask the top part off you are not altering the angle at which it "sees" you are only stopping it from seeing that area.

You may be lucky in that the bottom half of the lens is "seeing" where you want and not the cars.

The other alternative is to tilt the whole fitting down slightly, but obviously you will need to seal the top which was flush to the wall

Tilting the fitting down will look rubbish. They are 30cm tall lights, rather than the flood light type.

The instructions state you can set the sensitivity for between 1m and 8m, yet even with it on minimum, it still picks cars up 8 to 10m away.

Could it be a faulty PIR?

(by the way, its two lights, ran off 1 PIR. The PIR is part of one of the light fittings)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back