1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you buy ethanol free petrol from the pump in the UK?

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by d000hg, 14 Nov 2018.

1. d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My understanding is ethanol free fuel is what I want for tools getting infrequent use, overwintering etc if I don't want to drain between uses... It's the ethanol specifically that causes damage?

On a YouTube video a US guy said he could buy this as premium has at the pump. In the UK, is my only option to buy in 5L cans... Aspen etc? Can you mail order petrol?

2. SammyInnit

Thanks Received:
    Holy See (vatican City State)
    I think I know the video you're talking about and if it is he lives in British Columbia. We never see BC temps and our from the pump petrol is around 5% ethanol so it won't really have any benefit.

BP Ultimate constains no Ethanol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think you are referring to Aspen fuel or similar......this is ethanol and benzine free, and has minimal content of chemical aromatics and sulphur.
    Ethanol tends to rot pump diaphragms by increasing their elasticity, benzine causes fuel to deteriorate over time so both offer huge benefits to the casual user.
    Stihl and Husqvarna do their own brand names of this product - typically priced around £20 per 5 litres.
    John :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. d000hg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah that's the stuff. OK so are you saying if I want fuel I can keep for long periods and leave in the machines, I'm still better with the Aspen even if I could find ethanol-free fuel on the pump due to the other differences?

5. Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, that's what the manufacturers claim - they would, of course!
    Considering that 90% of problems with domestic petrol machinery are due to fuel issues, its worth doing everything you can.
    I do use Ultimate and the Shell equivalent in my motorbike though, the higher octane rating is (claimed) to suit the higher compression engine.
    John :)