zug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
plug1.JPG

plug2.JPG

plug3.JPG

Hi,
Is it possible to get something like his but for a UK plug? It accepts a 3pin plug on one side and then plug into a 3pin socket on the other. The flat plugs underneath allow the device to be switched
Can anybody help?
Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
why would they? our sockets come with switches most of the time, the euro sockets don't..

bloody dangerous if you ask me.. I guess that at least one of those pins is live when plugged in..

as a tip... try using the macro mode on your camera / phone when taking close up shots.. it looks like a flower normally..

Sponsored Links
well it is going inside another device. I have a Z-Wave module for a Shucko plug and I want to change it to UK socket. The part in the picture is the bit inside the module that takes a current in puts it into those pins underneath.
The left Pin is Live out, 2nd is live in and the 3rd pin is neuteral. The Z-Wave module then switches the output on and off depending on status. I guess I could just wire something that does the same...

Z-wave is a wireless standard used to switch devices and plug on and off. A ' Home Automation ' protocol. What I have is a receiver that turns the mains power socket on and off. But it's Schuko so I want to replace the schuko plugs with British standard ones. But to do this, I need a way of feeding the live wire between two plugs(one male , one female ) through to the Z-Wave circuit board.

I think I will just make something.

ZWave is available in UK with the standard 13A socket but to convert from German Schuko sockets to UK BS 1363 you are unlikely to find the replacement parts unless you want to buy them by the 1000's.

I have had the same problem with phone chargers and other plug in transformers which come with the BS 1363 adaptor in UK and Schuko in most other European countries. The adaptors do not seem to be available to retail market.

Schuko plugs can be used here but not the sockets except with an isolation transformer because the line and neutral are reversible. Although adaptors
Schuko-UK2.jpg
do seem to be available with BS number on them.

Mod 9.... you're taking the mickey aren't you?

it was already starred out by the swear filter, there is absolutely no call for you to remove the starred out word and post a warning about it..

you're getting too big for your boots son.. I'm begining to see BAS's point of view..

Schuko plugs can be used here but not the sockets except with an isolation transformer because the line and neutral are reversible.

I can't see how that works, eric.

You can put a schuko plug into an outlet either way up, so correct polarity is not guaranteed.

I guess I could just wire something that does the same...
Or you could try the non-lunatic approach of buying home automation products designed for this country, and complying with this country's regulations...

553.1.2 Except for SELV or a special circuit from Regulation 553.1.5, every plug and socket-outlet shall be of the non-reversible type. with provision for the connection of a protective conductor.
553.1.4 Every socket-outlet for household and similar use shall be of the shuttered type and, for an a.c. installation. shall preferably be of a type complying with BS 1363.
So the German Schuko sockets fail on both counts so not allowed in UK on a fixed installation.

But because we are all part of EU you are allowed the Schuko plugs and adaptors to make them fit in British sockets. These
Schuko-UK-adaptor-plug.jpg
are fair enough as one needs a tool to remove them so if fitted correctly in first place they remain correct. However these
Schuko-UK2.jpg
allow reversal and defeat the shutters yet have a BS number on them. Some items are designed for both as shown here
Tran-adapt.JPG
but to try and get replacement plugs is near impossible. Some adaptors are shuttered
Adaptors.JPG
as shown with two on left but one on right is neither shuttered or fused and was supplied in UK with a radio charger with although 230vac was fitted with a USA style plug.

be very carefull when using schuko plugs with adaptors. There are a lot of adaptors that will connect live and neutral but not earth.

eric: I take your point about the regs numbers you quote. However, my point is that the 1363 plugs designed for schuko plugs allow the plug to be fitted either way round, so reverse polarity is distinctly possible.

Uh... anything fitted with a Schuko plug must already expect to be connected either way round. No-one else in Europe makes anything that it matters which way round it's connected. And the exact same items sold in Europe are sold here, but with a UK plug. Cause they're all made in China anyway.

So the plugs can be used safely even if 'reversed'.

And... exactly why are we so precious about polarised plug/sockets here now that we have a unified market?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back