electric spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to know if i can run two fused spurs from my cooker socket( this has a socket for a 3pin plug on the front but i do not want to plug the cooker electrics into it)?one is for a hood 5 amp. and one for gas cooker electrics 3 amp . the back off the socket has a 2 lives (one marked mains) 2 N (one markeds mains) 2 earths . if this is ok what is the best way to wire it as there will be 4 live wires (one from mains i for cooker switch and one from hood and one from gas cooker . can i put two live wires in the hole that says mains ? and two N in the other hole that says mains ? thank for any advise

Sponsored Links
in short, providing you are using the correct sixed cable then yes. however this work is notifiable and could cause you problems in selling the property if it is not notified.

thanks for reply will have a word with electrics man and get him to fit. what size should the cable be ? that will save him buying it

it'll be cheaper for him..
he gets a discount at the wholesalers, you pay over the odds for a few meters from B&Q..
he's also likely got a part roll knocking about in the back of his van / down the shed that he can use up..

Sponsored Links
I'm intrigued by the labels on those wires. If the socket is part of a ring, why go to the trouble of marking one set of wires "mains"? :?: :?: :?:

There's a possibility that the socket is a spur from which another spur has been taken - in which case your plan won't work. :( :( :( To find out, remove the two live cores from their terminal (power off of course) and test for continuity between them.

he means it's a cooker switch with a socket..
there are 2 sets of terminals, mains and load..

if you have a gas cooker, then what's attatched to the load side of the switch?
a cable out to a cooker point?
you can change this for a socket or fused spur and plug or wire the gas cooker ignitor into that..

the cables are likely to be 6mm² or 10mm² and putting a 2.5mm² in with these for the spur would be best done by doubling the end of the 2.5mm² wires over for increased size and grip..

The gas cooker has a 3 pin plug with a 3 amp fuse .I want to replace the plug with with a fused spur in line with the cooker socket. There is a fused spur the goes to an hood that has been there for years . looking at the cables there will be ten, mains live. live from hood. live from gas cooker digital readout+spark. +mains n. hood n cooker n +4 earths ?mains earth hood +cooker earth not sure what other one is. this looks to me like to many wire to push into holes on cooker socket so how would this be wired ?

I have a cracked mounting block?( it is one that converts a single plug to a double )on the wall that needs replacing it has a 3" sq in the middle and fixs on to a metal wall plate with a 3" sq can you still buy them and what are they called Wickes do not sale them ? maybe i just need a complete new single to double converter ? did not see them in wickes? its been a long day !

post a photo.. we'll be able to see better..

you didn't answer my question...
is there a cooker outlet plate somewhere or does the cooker wire straight into the switch?

what do you mean by cooker outlet plate ? there is only a cable with a 3 pin plug comeing from cooker .there is a small plastic box on back of cooker aprox 3"x 2" the cable comes from that . not sure how to post photo on diy will have to look up, do you want a photo of wires ?

yes its behind the cooker, so a spur could be wired into this great do i stick with the 3 amp fuse ?

Your electrician will know how to do it properly, safely and legally.

Please don't think you should DIY this - not because of the law, but because you clearly don't know what you're doing...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back