Can you check my work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to everyone who has given me advice so far. I am very young and just getting into the DIY world ... you're all helping a huge amount!

The attached photo is of my new downlights. Can someone check that the wiring looks OK from what you can see?

Thanks,

Nick

Sponsored Links
A good try but wrong.

The 3 way terminal block needs to be in an enclosure of some kind. The enclosure should also offer some strain relief on the cables, ie cable clamps.

Also, the wires emerging from the fitting into the 3 way connector block are not sheathed. Here you need some round flex.

That is a 230 volt fitting. Sometimes the metal work needs earthing. Sometimes behind that black cover there is a connector to the metalwork. Though not always.

Is the hole in the ceiling the correct size?

EDIT. Just seen an earlier post of yours which suggests the lights are double insulated, so no earth required onto the fitting, just terminated in a connector block.

Thanks for that advice ...

Would that be the same if it was just a single live, neutral and earth cable going to the chocblock instead of the three of each?

Thanks.

A good try but wrong.

The 3 way terminal block needs to be in an enclosure of some kind. The enclosure should also offer some strain relief on the cables, ie cable clamps.

Also, the wires emerging from the fitting into the 3 way connector block are not sheathed. Here you need some round flex.

That is a 230 volt fitting. Sometimes the metal work needs earthing. Sometimes behind that black cover there is a connector to the metalwork. Though not always.

Is the hole in the ceiling the correct size?

Sponsored Links
If you've just got one cable, you can probably easily wire it straight into the black box on the fitting, assuming you can terminate the end of the earth wire safely.

I would just add -

As sparkwright has said use flex between the light and connectors.
Also, have it quite long (say 150-200mm) so that the stiff T+E does not pull on the light fitting.

Does the light actually work as it is supposed to?
Picture is a bit blurry but it looks like you have three line, three neutral and I assume three earth conductors coming into the line, neutral and earth terminals.
This would suggest that a single switch live is coming into this light unit and then branching off to two other light units that activate at the same time?
If this is correct then apart from the issue of cable support as already mentioned you are good to go.

I also noted three cables. I will guess every time you switch it on the supply trips/blows fuse. It would be unusual to have three cables all switched the same.

I will guess there should be a four way connector not a three way and one of the blacks is not neutral but switched line?

Thanks everyone. I can confirm that when switched on it works fine - there is a dimmer switch which turns on this plus two linked downlights. Nothing blows or trips.

I think junction boxes may be a bit complex for me ... unless someone has a good picture guide on what I would need to do.

My friend who is a qualified electrician will be checking it all in due course but I want to make sure nothing is dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back