Can you cut 20mm PIR into spacers to maintain void between 50mm PIR & shed wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm insulating my shed to use as office. It's quite thick and sturdy, like a log cabin in construction. I'm planning to attached 70mm deep (finished size) stud frame to wall, fit 50mm cellotex (leaving 20mm air gap behind it), then tape and plasterboard. Battens seem to be either 19mm or 25mm (not 20mm) and wood seems to have tolerance so it might be out by 20% anyway. As the battens are just to space the 50mm PIR and maintain void behind - would it be ok to use 20mm PIR cut into small squares and glued to the corner of each void (60mm centres)? That seems cheaper, easy to cut and a reliable depth. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Just bang a line of nails in (Stainless if you wish), and push the insulation against them. Quick and easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back