Can you fix items to external wall tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property has these wall tiles and i want to fix a floodlight and cctv cameras but i don't know whether it is possible due to the tiles..

If there is a method, could some explain please?

Failing that, is it possible to fix the items to my wooden sofit/facia board?

Attachments

• IMG_20191122_160528913.jpg
    IMG_20191122_160528913.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 366
Sponsored Links
Probably not. Mine seem to be fixed to a wooden batten which is fixed to a single skin wall, and has an air gap.

My alarm bell is fitted to the soffit. I made an L shaped bracket to fix through the soffit.
My neighbour's camera is also fitted to the soffit

As a non professional, I would say yes if you have to, you would have to be a bit clever.
If they are lightweight you could lift some tiles and fix a hanger to the batten, and fix some weatherproof ply to the hanger in such a way that the tiles can go back.
Anything more substantial eg satellite dish you wouldn't fit there, but if you really had to you'd need to remove tiles in the area, create a mounting point and have flashings and all sorts to deflect the water.

Imagine those tiles on a bit of a slant, and on the top of your house, keeping the rain out. Now, would you drill through them?

But if you are hell bent on doing it, you need to locate the position of one of the horizontal battens and drill into that. Then rather than chance gobbing the holes with silicone, cobbling a bit of lead or suchlike as a flashing/slate and tuck it below the lap of the tile above and then dressed over the fixings or bracket as a shroud. This sounds a bit elaborate as text, but you'll get the gist so just follow the principle.

Sponsored Links
So long as your soffit is not asbestos, a lot are, I would fix to that.
If you need to get higher the downpipe clip has been fitted to the tiles so with care you should get away with it I think I would use a plasterboard fixing plug like this https://www.toolstation.com/fischer-nylon-plasterboard-plug/p89407 to grip behind the tile and be careful that the hole is not too small or the tile may crack. A generous splodge of silicone on the plug and screw through it should be a good enough seal.

OP,
you already have some kind of fixture or fitting thats been fixed through a tile - on the return elevation.
could be that its been installed from new?
there are special metal brackets used for hanging devices on wall hung tiles - some large ironmongers site on google used to display them.
but it still leaves the problems of retro-fitting as mentioned above?
i've never attempted such a task.

Krusty's right!

The purpose of the tiles is to keep the rain away. The last thing i want to do is potentially risk compromising this. Besides if i can get my camera and lights on the soffit (which looks like solid wood - property built in 1990), then I'll take that

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys.. Much appreciated (y)

If any are in a convenient position, you could screw into them.

I have a slate-hung wall, the exterior window reveals have wooden trim, screwed to the masonry, and there are substantial wooden external sills.

That's not a bad shout John.

That's given me another potential option. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back