Can you move a greenhouse with the glass still in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a metal greenhouse probably 4x2m - traditional style with glass.
If I wanted to move it to another spot in the garden do I absolutely have to remove all the glass just for a few feet's travel? Or if we can manage the weight is it possible to shift as-is?

Sponsored Links
I would. If it flexes, you’ll break a fair few panes of glass. Pop them out (mark which ones came from where), move it, pop them back in.

I would. If it flexes, you’ll break a fair few panes of glass. Pop them out (mark which ones came from where), move it, pop them back in.
That's the concern - if only the whole thing had been mounted on a sturdy frame that could be moved! Turns a 5min job into a 2 hour job with all those annoying spring clip things :)

I think is could be quite a dangerous exercise given the weight of glass .In my opinion once any glass pops the frame would be under greater stress given the glass would give some bracing to it...think how wobbly a greenhouse is until its glazed .

Sponsored Links
Given the weight of glass I'd be pretty surprised if you could lift it up and move it without the whole thing not distorting enough not to break at least a few. I guess if you could put a rigid frame underneath then that would prevent any distortion, provided you had enough bodies or some other way of lifting it. Like this in principle but note that ones has about 8 people and it's only light weight.

Last edited:
I was leaning towards this so I shall take the replies as confirmation and not try :)

Given the weight of glass I'd be pretty surprised if you could lift it up and move it without the whole thing not distorting enough not to break at least a few. I guess if you could put a rigid frame underneath then that would prevent any distortion, provided you had enough bodies or some other way of lifting it. Like this in principle but note that ones has about 8 people and it's only light weight.

That has plastic panes, they won’t shatter. They’d never lift something that size if it had glass panes.

That has plastic panes, they won’t shatter. They’d never lift something that size if it had glass panes.
That was precisely my point, he'd need about 16 people for a glass one, I was merely surmising that whilst the principal is sound the practicalities are not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back