can you paint clear varnish over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, can you paint a clear varnish over wood that has been painted with matt paint? just need to give it a slight sheen any advice please??? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes you can,a lot of people do this using a polurethane varnish as an extra protection against wear and tear on the emulsion paint.
Give it a 2-3 of coats to get the sheen you want.

In my opinion, polyurethane is too yellow and yellows even more with age. Use an acrylic matt/ satin.

Hi, Thanks for your replys, but where do i buy this and what brand is it please? :?: it wont blister the matt paint will it? been told this? is it expensive? thanks :D

Sponsored Links
you can buy both the poly and the acrylic at Brewers or the DDC's dont know if the sheds do them. My choice would be the Decorators Varnish, comes in a blue bottle and is an acrylic in a matt or satin finish for the ease of application and for the reason Joe gave. It wont harm your matt, its what it was made for:cool:

The other stuff you can use is protective glaze...the stuff they put over spray finishes like portaflek etc...

The can buy that in Jonstones and I think its a bit cheaper.

Hi Thanks for you reply! :D can you buy this in wickes or diy.com?

not the faintest idea dont go in there just the ones I mentioned plus johnstons/leyland that Zampa mentioned and Crown decorating centers, sorry cant be of more help, I just dont use the sheds.

Thats true Vern...might be a bit too much for a bit of woodwork...acrylic varnish it is then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back