Can you paint straight onto plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

My husband is almost finished our extension and has put plasterboard with joint tape up all over. Can this grey stuff just be painted with Matt emulsion or do we need to treat/prime it with something first? If so, going to B&Q tomorrow so can get whatever I need then. Please explain what I need in simple terms LOL - none of your fancy jargon please hahahaha. Thanks in advance.

Karen

PS - This is a great forum, just had a nosey at some of the other sections too. May have to become a DIY enthusiast!!! Hubby will be so proud of me if all these great tips just come rolling off my tongue!

Sponsored Links
Hi and welcome ;)

Fill the joint tape with easi-fill rub down when dry taking care not to damage the paper on the plasterboard. I like to line just to cover the filler and to give an even like for like base for the paint, but you can just water down some matt by about 20% and paint the filler. this will stop the filler sucking in the finish coats. Then apply 2 or three coats of paint of your choice over the top job done. no special requirements are needed for the board itself. Good luck :D

OK, so the plasterboard I just paint on and the joint cement that is sanded down I will just water down some matt paint to slap on that. Seems a bit of a carry on - would it do any harm if I just covered the whole lot in matt emulsion?

Also, my hubby is putting up coving he got from B&Q - not the polystyrene stuff. Think it's maybe made of plasterboard too. Can this just be painted over straight away too?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Just go over everything, Plasterboard, joins & coving with your mist coat (20% water:emulsion), won't do any harm, takes very little time & materials and you know then that your final coats won't fall off!

White side decorating. Grey side plastering :cool:

Thats not what the board manufacturers will tell you nowadays .

White side for everything nowadays according to Lafarge. The paper backing on the back is too thin to be skimmed

Grey side for everything if it's knauf... brown side's no good for anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back