Can you please help me fix my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler "Glow worm 30cxi" started leaking water very bad and I had to lock the water mains, now no water at kitchen or toilet.
Opening the boiler found that a bit of plastic became loose/detatched from its rest in one of the tubes.
I have few question that I would really appreciate your answers and help for.
Please watch this youtube below to see what is happening
1- Is it safe to fix it myself?
2- Will it still be safe after all that water that gone around the inside?
3- Is it safe to block it with a piece of cloth temporarily just to use the water on the other taps, but I won't be using the boiler?
5-Is there a way of blocking the water to the boiler only? I tried the little two valves at the bottom back of the boiler but they didn't stop it.
4- What part do I need to replace? Is it only the broken plastic bit or the whole assembly where it goes?
5- Where can I buy it from? Ebay? Other site? Please provide a link.
6- Is there any special notes I need to be aware of before and while replacing it? In case it's something I can do by myself and not suppose to call an engineer for this specific fault.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I just found that the broken part is called Domestic Cold Water Inlet Filter.
I am currently searching for it but can't find it so far.

Sponsored Links
Your local heating spares centre should have this in stock - post your location and we can check for you

Thanks guys
I live in newark-on-trent.
This is really good idea, it will be much better if I buy it from a local shop and fix today than buying online and wait for couple of days.

Can you see what has actually broken?

The cover has to be pushed fully down and then the clip should engage with the groove.

Why is that apparently not happening?

Tony

If that part had really come open during normal operation then the mains water would be spraying out with a lot of force and at a flow rate of about 10 litres per minute.

That amount of water would find its way on to the boiler PCB and seriously damage the parts at mains voltage.

You don't seem to have mentioned the PCB. That makes me suspicious that it may not have been a fault that arose on its own. Instead that you had turned off the water and were for some reason fiddling with the parts yourself.

You can isolate the cold feed into the boiler so that you can turn on the water in the house. Its on the fourth pipe underneath. But if you do that you must keep any mixer taps in the cold position otherwise you can back feed water into the boiler via the hot pipe. Part of the way to protect against that is to fully open any discrete hot taps.

Tony

I have just been to a local shop and got one of them.
I replaced it, and when I open the mains it holds for few seconds and then the starts leaking.
I noticed a small difference at the botton which I think might ease the pressure coming to the filter.
Is this the correct part?

Attachments

• 20160223_102535.jpg
    20160223_102535.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160223_102400.jpg
    20160223_102400.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 20160223_102337.jpg
    20160223_102337.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 207
Thanks Tony
When filter snapped the water was coming out crazy. Thank god We were at home.
I have switched off the fuse switch for the boiler as well
There is water on pipes and cables inside, what should i do about it?

I just found out that the extra bit at the bottom actually comes off, but the new filter doesn't have the openings to hold it, should I make them/force it?

Attachments

• 20160223_104147.jpg
    20160223_104147.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 200
You seem to be concentrating on the internal parts of the filter.

Its the outer casing that contains the water and is the important part in respect of any leaking.

You say that something has snapped. Can you explain what has snapped? What is still leaking?

Do you mean you were just sitting there reading the newspaper and suddenly saw water leaking from the boiler?

If all the electrical parts have been sprayed with water you MIGHT be able to recover them with careful drying with a hairdryer. But don't count on that.

It may well be cheaper to buy a new boiler!

Or try a fixed price repair from the makers or British Gas.

Tony

Yes, last night I was just setting there drinking my tea and I heard a madsive water leakage/splashing started.
I went to the kitchen and it was coming of the boiler.
I swithced off the fuse switch of the boiler and water mains.
The broken filter and how is it damaged and where it fits are all in the photos and video.
After the new filter fitted, it holds the water for few seconds and then starts leaking, but not as bad as with the broken one.
Thr metal locker that locks in the filter in place doesn't seem going all the way, I feel/see as if it should go 1mm-1.5mm further, I know that with high water pressure that such small mesurements still make difference.
I tried pushing it as hard as I can, but the limited space is not letting me do better.

How much is a new boiler with fitting?

Thanks

The metal clip locks into a groove on the end cap.

That must be fully pushed in before the clip is inserted. I don't think you are pushing the cap all the way in.

I would lubricate the "O" ring with silicone grease. You could use a little washing up liquid instead.

Are you trying to tell me the groove part of the cap separated when the fault occurred? I have never seen one do that. But it may not have been properly inserted beforehand.

Tony

I wasn't putting the new filter correctly, I put the ring first pushing it in place, then the filter then the metal lock which now gone in nicely all the way and clicked, but still the water would still leak from there.
I am giving up, seems I am gonna have to call BG for their one repair service

Thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back