Can you plumb a shower waste into a rain water drain pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem is that the new 40mm wastepipe i have run is just a bit too low to fit into the soil pipe that i've just put in for a new toilet. But I could elbow round to clear the soil stack and attach it with a strap on boss to the rainwater drain pipe. I've had the drain cover up and both the soilstack and the rainwater drain run into the same sewer. So therefore is it ok with building and water regs to do so. I've looked online and asked various people if this is ok and not had an answer yet. There really is no alternative and this is part of my NVQ2 so need to know if this is allowed or would I be pulled up on it??

Thanx in advance,

Jamie

This is in the uk!

Sponsored Links
If you are 100% sure they share the same foul pipe then yes,if your not 100% sure, use some dye to check ;)

Be aware rainwater systems and waste pipes are not compatible. Strap bosses are avilable for 82/110mm pipe, if you have 68mm rainwater downpipe no suitable fitting is available to connect a 40mm waste. Only option is to fit a 68mm tee into the RWP, and effect some kind of seal yourself.

Sponsored Links
Be aware rainwater systems and waste pipes are not compatible. Strap bosses are avilable for 82/110mm pipe, if you have 68mm rainwater downpipe no suitable fitting is available to connect a 40mm waste. Only option is to fit a 68mm tee into the RWP, and effect some kind of seal yourself.

hmm makes it more tricky. what a pain in the arse. so they don't do a 68 - 40 reducer then for the tee?

What should be done is a drain gulley ( trap) fitted under the rain water pipe to take that and the shower waste - then run 110 pipe from gulley to manhole :idea: NVQ 2 :confused: my way is City and Guilds 1973 ;)

Trying to visualise this. Where does the soil pipe go? If you need to get round it with the waste, then surely you can connect into it?

You could install a hopper in the rwp and then just put an elbow on the end of your shower waste run into it.

Pete

Trying to visualise this. Where does the soil pipe go? If you need to get round it with the waste, then surely you can connect into it?

Its because the waste pipe is running too close to the where the soil meets the cast iron connection. I just miss the port on the side of it without it being too out.

You could install a hopper in the rwp and then just put an elbow on the end of your shower waste run into it.

I think this could be a solution. Do they have ports on them where you can just plug in as such. Think I've seen something like that.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back