Can you really plaster over crimps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A JB would be ok but it would need to be 1. fixed to something and 2. accessible! Crafty has offered the best solution as once the cable is crimped/heatshrunk, it can be simply buried in plaster!
I have borrow this recent quote saving me hijacking the post,

I have learnt a lot about electric here on this forum but this one I'm not so sure about.

Am'I right saying if you plaster over the crimps connectors and you have rising damp or wet wall for whatever reason in that area, can you get a shock by touching the damp/wet plaster on the wall?

Sponsored Links
As long as the heatshrink is adequately applied and shrunk enough, it should be watertight. I agree though that if heatshrink was ignored or not properly applied then there is a risk of shorting in wet plaster so good point masona!

Maybe the answer is in the heatshrink covering the crimps :?: I know you can get heatshrink with glue enclosed for auto applications (post crossed with a proper(pompey)sparks :oops:

Right, another easy question for you :)
CTBUTTSLASHR.JPG

Is it these type of crimp you heat the ends with?

or do mean slide the heat shrink sleeve over the whole lot with this?
CAHSK6.JPG

Sponsored Links
I always use self amalgamating tape. Its easier to get it watertight by stretching it to 3 times its length and letting it shrink back around the joint.

The top picture is the crimp - this part connects the cable - in your case you'll need a red for the earth cable and two blue crimps for your live & neutral - assuming cable is usual 2.5mm Twin and Earth.

BEFORE you crimp, slide enough heatshrink (bottom pic) over one cable to cover the join and about 5-10cm of each T&E cable sheath (the more the better!). Once your connections are crimped, stretch the heatshrink over the connection and sheath of the other cable before applying heat - I find a hairdryer does the trick but some like to use a paint-stripper - CAREFUL not to overheat it all too much! You'll know when it's shrunk enough as you will hardly be able to slide it up & down the sheath.

If you are worried about wet plaster then if possible plaster and wait 48-72hrs before re-energizing your circuit!

*PS just saw QED's idea - havn't tried it myself but it sounds easier so i'll give that a try myself!

No-one seems to have told the original poster to only use a ratchet crimp tool (not the kind you buy in a kit from B&Q) otherwise you may as well forget about the heat shrink or self amalgamating tape as the electrical connection will be very poor at best and will probably fail well before the plaster is dry.......

UKSparky said:
No-one seems to have told the original poster to only use a ratchet crimp tool (not the kind you buy in a kit from B&Q) otherwise you may as well forget about the heat shrink or self amalgamating tape as the electrical connection will be very poor at best and will probably fail well before the plaster is dry.......

I reckon masona has been here long enough to know about the perils of not using a ratchet crimper :D :D Good reminder though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back