Extending Light Switch Wires With Inline Crimp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a (dimmer) light switch like-for-like, but the wires coming out of the wall don't give me much to work with.

I would like to extend some of the wires so it's easier to change the switch. I know about the standard plastic connectors to extend a wire but there is not much space behind the switch so it might not fit.
I have read about inline crimps which look ideal for my requirements but I am concerned about the insulation around it. I have the red/black wires in the wall, and for a couple of the switch connectors they need to take in 2 wires together (it is a double dimmer). Would an inline crimp be suitable here and if so what sort of additional insulation would I need to add to the crimp?

As you can tell my electrical knowledge here is limited, enough to change like-for-like but I have no experience using inline crimps.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
As you have no experience with crimps
( and I assume no proper ratchet crimp tool) then I suggest you use these simple push on cable connectors, available at Screwfix
B9585EF9-BAD7-40A6-95CB-0B039350FEF0.jpeg

Thanks, those look smaller so hopefully will fit. I will give them a go.
It is tight behind the switch though, are crimps (and the tool) relatively simple to use or is my lack of knowledge (including insulating as appropriate) too risky?

Trouble with crimps is if you are statrting with too short wires then sometimes there isnt enough room in the box to get the crimp tool on to the crimp correctly

PS thanks to taylor two cities for mentioning those, I hadnt seen them before but now have some on order

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Trouble with crimps is if you are statrting with too short wires then sometimes there isnt enough room in the box to get the crimp tool on to the crimp correctly
And the crimper isn’t like those weedy toys that are used for vehicle wiring.
are crimps (and the tool) relatively simple to use or is my lack of knowledge (including insulating as appropriate) too risky?
Proper mains crimps are insulated
BUT
Forget crimping, it’s hard enough on solid conductors if you know what u doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back