ElekTek 1.5mm Crimp Connectors - Need to Strip Wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to extend a cable (for an internal USB conection within my PC). I have some 1.5mm Crimp Connectors. Do I have to strip the individual wires, or will the crimp bite through the plascic covering?

I think I will need to strip the wires but I thought I would ask here for confirmation first :)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you strip the wires

but is this a 1.5mm² wire? most of the wires in a pc (with the exception of the psu ones) are too small to crimp standard crimp terminals onto, I recommend soldering and covering with heatshrink

A USB cable won't be anywhere near 1mm²

I don't know what internal cables will be like, but the standard for external USB cables specifies AWG 28 - 20 cores, 0.11mm² - 0.68mm².....

Sponsored Links
It's the USB cable conneting a card reader (SD, MMC, etc,) with is in the 3.5" slot to the internal USB connection on the motherboard. I have cut ope the cable and it contains 4 1mm wires.

I have a full sie tower and the cable isn't quite long enough, so I am going to extend it (using Cat5e cable - 4 wires withn that, same thickness).

TechBoy said:
It's the USB cable conneting a card reader (SD, MMC, etc,) with is in the 3.5" slot to the internal USB connection on the motherboard. I have cut ope the cable and it contains 4 1mm wires.

I have a full sie tower and the cable isn't quite long enough, so I am going to extend it (using Cat5e cable - 4 wires withn that, same thickness).

cat 5e is not 1mm²

On closer inspection, 2 of the USB wires look the same at the Cat5e wires, but the other 2 are slightly wider...

What should I do? :confused:

Would it work if I just used the Cat5e wires or would I be risking something?

AFAIK with all data connections it is better to get the correct lead for the job due to interferance and impedance reasons. Crimping and putting cat5e wire in will probably work but there is no guarantee you will not get any errors.

Why not buy a USB lead, cut the plugs off, and replace the whole thing?

How is it attached at each end to motherboard & card reader?

Have you tried companies that supply components for people who build PCs?

I would regard extending the cable by inserting something, with crimped/soldered/welded/whatevered joints as an absolute last resort, as you could well introduce reflections, timing delays, signal skews...

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs

I went to Maplin and they do not sell an extension cable and I haven't been able to find one on other websites (like eBuyer, Dabs, Simply, etc). It is hard-wired into the disk unit so I can't unplug that end of it, so I will have to extend it.

I bought a ColdHeat soldering iron today (so I wouldn't have to keep borrowing my dads) - and it's rubbish, so I will be taking it back tomorrow and will get a 'proper' one instead. While I am there I will also get the right type of wire :)

The overall cable will be about 60cm (currently about 40cm) so I don't think that signal loss/degredation will be an issue

usb isn't exactly the fastest interface in the world and i cant imagine you having problems using a bit of cat5.

keep the two data lines (the thinner wires) in one pair and the two power wires in a second pair and you should be ok. its only half an amp max even on the power wires.

as for the actual joining i'd say twist solder and heatshrink would be the best way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back