Crimping for beginners

I admit and agree it seems intuitively insecure (as do push fit plumbing) but that's the whole point of scientific method of design, they design things using appropriate materials and processes test them and tell us whether they meet the standard.
Yes, but the problem is that the only way to be sure about the very long-term performance/behaviour of the connections is to wait a very long time. 'Accelerated' testing procedures are all very well, but don't necessarily tell the full story about what happens in the real world, in real time.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes, but the problem is that the only way to be sure about the very long-term performance/behaviour of the connections is to wait a very long time. 'Accelerated' testing procedures are all very well, but don't necessarily tell the full story about what happens in the real world, in real time.
True, but between that uncertainty, and "seems flimsy", I'm sure the scientific approach is better in terms of lower risk overall. Although I suppose the real risk is not innovating but sticking with the tried and tested ways therefore higher cost.
Remember, a large amount of extrapolation can be used in the design process to reduce the risk of long term effects. We know how to make a springy piece of metal that can flex a distance without breaking, so the only unexpected effects would be from previously unknown interactions between components.

seems flimsy but is sound
70874084dcdfc02368662dc1086d1ba0--spanish-architecture-modern-architecture-homes.jpg

seems sound but is flimsy
main-qimg-dee17282d684ad77165d7a8f5f8fef45-c

True, but between that uncertainty, and "seems flimsy", I'm sure the scientific approach is better in terms of lower risk overall.
I'm not sure what you eman by 'the scientific approach'. I'm sure that everything practicable is done, both in terms of design and testing, to try to ensure that the very-long-term performance is satisfactory - but the true 'scientific approach' says that one cannot have certainty about that very-long-term performance until the product has been in-service (or, unrealistically, under test) for a very long time.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I couldn't get my hands on the Hager boxes very quickly, so I picked up some Wago boxes instead from Screwifx today.

Cheap they are not, but I must say, they really are the mutt's nuts, so easy to use. Never again will I overscrew a plastic junction box to a joist to hear it crack. Nor will I ever again fumble around with those brass grub screws whilst trying to keep all my wire ends in place.

I have seen the future, it's the Wago box for me!

Thanks for the tip.

Jever

Hi Guys,

I couldn't get my hands on the Hager boxes very quickly, so I picked up some Wago boxes instead from Screwifx today.

Cheap they are not, but I must say, they really are the mutt's nuts, so easy to use. Never again will I overscrew a plastic junction box to a joist to hear it crack. Nor will I ever again fumble around with those brass grub screws whilst trying to keep all my wire ends in place.

I have seen the future, it's the Wago box for me!

Thanks for the tip.

Jever
And sadly I've seen the past, never fitted any Wago myself yet but have chopped out about half a dozen where they've failed.
I don't know if it's relevant but they have all been between VSD and motor.
Edit: I've seen far more red/yellow/blue crimps and choc bloc fail though and the crimps are frequently spectacular when crimped with a pair of pliers.

And sadly I've seen the past, never fitted any Wago myself yet but have chopped out about half a dozen where they've failed.
I don't know if it's relevant but they have all been between VSD and motor.
Edit: I've seen far more red/yellow/blue crimps and choc bloc fail though and the crimps are frequently spectacular when crimped with a pair of pliers.

Who uses Wago push in connectors on motor cables? Or do you mean spring terms in general?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back