How Do I Crimp This Cable To Add a Bit of Length?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I6RXdyZ.jpg

I literally moved the light a few inches forward and all 3 cables needed extending. One of the cables I replaced... another one I might be able to replace as it goes into the toilet room behind so only through 1 joist. The switch line needs extending though... which crimps do I need to buy is it the blue ones for 1.5mm? Also do I tape the cables individually after then use that special rubber tape over the whole thing at the end? I think I have a ratchet crimping tool which seems decent.

The crimped joints I did above had a little movement into them but didn't pull out. After taping obviously the movement is reduced.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if the crimped joints moved after crimping then they were not done correctly! use a maintenance free junction box as linked to above.

Yeah I've used those junction boxes before but thought they'd be too excessive for a lighting cable. Do I rubber tape the junction box or just leave it like that and stuff it into the ceiling?

Yeah I've used those junction boxes before but thought they'd be too excessive for a lighting cable. Do I rubber tape the junction box or just leave it like that and stuff it into the ceiling?

Leave it and stuff into the ceiling.

The box is designed for such instances.

The crimp connectors are not, they are really for flex/multi strand cables

Found one of those Hager boxes in my electrical bag so job is done now. Replaced the other cable with a longer one... white for white (really hate re-using old cable but ran out of new roll and whole ceiling is full of the white cable anyway).

When I tugged the crimps I did hard they all came apart... even when taped. Pretty weak connection.

Found one of those Hager boxes in my electrical bag so job is done now. Replaced the other cable with a longer one... white for white (really hate re-using old cable but ran out of new roll and whole ceiling is full of the white cable anyway).

When I tugged the crimps I did hard they all came apart... even when taped. Pretty weak connection.

I recently had to fit a longer flex to my mum's washing machine. The original had un-insulated spade terminals, the type that grip both the flex and cable. I tried crappy Amazon insulated spade crimps, none of them passed the tug test. After extensive research, I now have £70 worth of those crimps plus a decent-ish (read: cheap) crimper... I will probably use about 20 more of the crimps throughout the rest of my life. But hey, it was my mum's washing machine and I would not be able to live with myself if she got a 230v whack from the washing machine.

I was unaware of that. Thanks.

Having never heard that before, and having seen lots of electricians use the bog standard crimps, I decided to Google the subject. Yup, it is generally frowned upon and actively prohibited by the likes of NASA and the MOD

https://www2.theiet.org/forums/foru...d=41987&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

It's normally absolutely fine. If you look in the datasheet for any mainstream manufacturer it mentions for stranded or solid cable. It actually makes no difference anyway with a properly fitting crimp since when you crimp the conductors, you're effectively deforming a solid mass of copper whether it's stranded or solid. If a stranded conductor feels more solid in the crimp, it's likely because some of the strands have been pinched rather than anything about the actual crimp.

It's normally absolutely fine. If you look in the datasheet for any mainstream manufacturer it mentions for stranded or solid cable.
Are you sure?

It actually makes no difference anyway with a properly fitting crimp since when you crimp the conductors,
That's the point. The usual crimps do not fit at all.

Anyway, this has been done to death before.

Solid conductors should not be crimped with the usual crimps and crimpers that people buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back