Can you recommend a good comprehensive DIY manual?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've decided to buy a DIY bible, having done some DIY in the past (fitting laminate flooring, wall tileing, painting and wall papering mostly) I think im quite adaptable to picking things up, but I would like a proper comprehensive guide, from the best way to prepare stained wood surfaces for glossing, to replacing internal doors and fixing leaky taps etc etc etc. Ive just bought my first home, 1900 mid terraced, bay fronted big old monster of a house that needs a great deal of work (mostly cosmetic) and I can't wait to get stuck in. Sooooo any recomendations please, dont mind if its one big door step of a book, or a few must have manuals.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Why not just use GOOOGLE its got everything including video, its free & continually up to date.
And should you ever get a problem, there is always DIYNOT.COM

Er cos I don't have Internet at home.. Currently using works!, and DIYnot.com, never heard if it :-p

Sponsored Links
It's called a library, the subject is so extensive you will need one to cover all aspects.
Google is far more useful.

The Readers Digest one is very good, I don't know if it is still published since they went bust. Such a big one is rather expensive, I strongly recommend you use your local library. If you find one you like enough, buy your own copy.

More often, you will find a single book on decorating/plumbing/plastering/bricklaying/lawns whatever will be better than the chapter in a generalist book.

I got the one form B&Q and its helped me loads. I usually back it up with a surf on the net, but for me, its good to start off your thinking process. Id reccommed that for def.

I got bought the Reader's Digest one and it's been useful.
I imagine they're not too much from Amazon.

If it saves you one call-out then it'll pay for itself many times over.

I don't buy books, cds or dvds any more.
The only issue with the internet is you can't guarantee how reliable the person is giving the advice.
I like the fact you can look something urgent up without having to spend hours researching conflicting advice.

For a novice DIY-er or young people getting their first home a book(or e-book) isn't a bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back