can you run both electric and gas to heat rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
theoretical question...

mate of mine is running a gas combi boiler but looking into getting wind turbine for some free electric and free heating thinking out loud here but would it be possible to run one of these

http://www.heatraesadia.com/HS/HeatraeS.nsf/ProductLookup/Amptec?OpenDocument

in line and along side the combi to heat the rad water, ie run the combi thermostat for the rad water temp lower so the gas burner doesnt cut in and allow the electric to heat the water and the combi pump to circulate it to the rads ??

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert on wind turbines(assuming its the usual small domestic kind) but I think your expectations might be a little optimistic.

yep this is why the plan is to run it along side the combi? once the combi has the rads up to temp and the gas burner cuts out he is thinking the electric boiler should keep the water at that temp as it wont need a lot of power to maintain temps.

would this work in theory given that the electric supply is sufficient ?

i am no expert but heres my thoughts

forget it wont work the average output is around 40% of rated max

now lets assume you central heating is on a 35kw boiler with say 20% required to keep up to temperature so thats 7 kw
now your turbine tunning at say even 80% would need an output of say 10 or 11kw to overcome the transmision/ conversion losses to provide that power that one large wind turbine :rolleyes:

http://www.bettergeneration.co.uk/wind-turbine-models/the-gaia-wind-11kw.html

the cost off gas is still half the cost off electric per kw so better have your wind turbing powering your electrics and selling extra back to the grid

Sponsored Links
Forgive me, but I just had to research this.

Average wind speed in the UK today = 6mph.

That is 2.6metres per second.

Using data from your product link:

How much electricity will your £28,000 wind farm (with 40ft rotors) be generating?

Answer: Zippo.

And it comes with a 2 year warranty!

Brilliant idea, let me know how you get on.

The only people making money from wind turbines are the financial backers of windfarms selling electricity to the grid companies with huge Government incentives. They are robbing the taxpayer blind. Don't believe the hype, do the research.

Sorry to answer your question it would work.

But the electric supply wouldn't be sufficient so it is a daft question.

If you have this huge amount of money to spend, put most of it in the bank and get us to fit a Honeywell Hometronic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back