Can you stop water penetrating a tile roof in 130 kph winds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had water pouring out of downlights in the ceiling of my house after 130kph winds from terrific thunderstorms which hit Brisbane. Hundreds of homes lost roofs or were destroyed. Go to the couriermail.com.au to see images. We had no structural damage but i just want to know if the water is hitting the roof horizontally is it a waste of time trying to prevent water getting in? Or can i put up plastic or something behind the tiles to collect water and drain it out of the roof space?

I pulled out the wet insulation bats but insurance says i have to fix the roof ridge capping and other ingress points before they will reinstall bats and replace fans and lights which filled with water.

the latest storm with strong to gale force winds is due later today oz time

:eek:

Sponsored Links
do you not fit a secondary felt or membrane layer down there in Oz?

Builders are 'supposed' to install sarking which is reflective on one side and tar waterproof compound on the other. However as I have found out we don't have any waterproofing and are up for big dollars to get the tiles relaid. i was not aware of the need before buying this house, but as usual am finding out its checquered history as time goes on

answering your first Q - remove roof covering and battens, apply membrane then re-batten and tile.

Sponsored Links
yes my options are limited .. am trying to organise a tiler (and the dollars required) to get the south western side which is the one the storms hit

I have a tiler coming out later this week just to replace inadequate flashing and to check ridge capping.

my tiler told me that a local house builder didn't put in sarking when he built in my suburb. He said that he'd moved here because it didn't get hit by storms and then had his ceilings fall in after last severe storm.
I got off lightly compared to a lot of others in the area.

I wonder if they built Altantis where they did cos it had no previous history of flooding :LOL:

Yeah, over here a south facing aspect is desirable, whereas of course in Oz a north facing aspect is more desirable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back