Ridge roof tiles secured with screws??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

With yesterdays gale force winds, two of my extension roof ridge tiles blew off and damaged the ground floor roof files below it.

I have been in touch with the insurance and they have approved any work less than £500. I received a quote from a roofer (allegedly reputable) to replace the two ridge tiles, about 3 tiles in the extension roof (cracked due to the ridge tile landing on them), and also about 3 tiles from the original house roof. The quote was £260 (VAT later to be added after the job!), so I thought that this sounded reasonable, and they returned later today to sort out.

They have replaced all of the tiles, but he has advised that they have screwed down the ridge tiles as it will be stronger. Is this normal or is this a temporary fix? He showed me the screws and they were about 6-8inches in length, but I have never heard of this being done before.

They were only here for about 30 mins (not bad return..equivalent of over £600 p/h rate!). Does this sound like a proper job and realistic price for the work?

The insurance covers the work (minus the excess), so I am not too bothered about the price as suspect it is a case of supply/demand given that most houses needed work. I am more concerned if the ridge tiles are likely to come off again in the next storm.

Thanks,

Ian

Sponsored Links
If the ridge tiles were originally bedded in cement the replacement ridges would normally be re fixed in the same way especially if you have profiled tiles.

If the ridges are screwed then it would normally be as part of a complete dry fix system,

I suspect if they were screwed on with 6" screws in the first place then the wind would not have blown them off.

Thanks both for the reply.

The ridge tiles were the half round type. The roofer did say the old cement looked okay, hence screwing them down, but this all felt a bit too much of a quick and easy fix so they could move onto the next job.

So, to confirm, as they were previously bedded in cement, should they have been bedded in new cement and then possibly screwed down? Apologies for the daft question, I just want to make sure a proper job has been undertaken as I don't want them flying off next time and landing on my car again!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ridge tiles must always be bedded down on cement - putting screws in does no harm but they must be rust resistant and preferably, their heads covered with a blob of silicone.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back