Can you tell me how to change light fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Light has fused in a bedroom. New fuse box. It's a welbex. I can't figure out how to change the fuse. On our old fuse box we would just pull it out like a plug, change, put back in - but nothing on this one seems to come out at all?

Sponsored Links
Nothing seems to have tripped there, have you changed the bulb?

Hi All

Light has fused in a bedroom. New fuse box. It's a welbex. I can't figure out how to change the fuse. On our old fuse box we would just pull it out like a plug, change, put back in - but nothing on this one seems to come out at all?

]

You don't change the fuse as you have no fuses. They are Miniature Circuit Breakers (MCBs) and all you do is move the operating lever to the UP position once the fault causing it to trip has been removed.

However, in your photos, none of the MCBs or RCDs has tripped

SURELY whoever fitted the new WYLEX Consumer Unit (it's not a fuse box) explained how to use it?????? Is this a wind-up?

Your question doesn't make sense.
You don't have fuses you have MCB's (black switches marked 6A, 32A etc) protected by RCD's(marked RCD).
If you mean you light bulb has blown then replace the light bulb.
If you mean you MCB has blown (fused) then call an electrician.
From your photographs of the WYLEX board all the MCB's and RCD's are in the ON position - are your other lights working?

Sponsored Links
Might be a fuse in a plug to a table lamp, more information required.

Alos some MCB's need to be pushed all the way down before they can be reset to the ON ( up ) position

Hi

No they did not explain how to use it - i know, crazy.

OK thanks, i get the picture now.

The bulb blew, tried to replace - nothing. Main ceiling light in bedroom

I tried to move the MCB lever up, thats why its showing up in the picture, nothing.

So i take it the MCB has blown and i need to call an electrician?

Sorry i didnt understand how it worked. everything else in the house is fine

If it is only the bedroom light that has failed, it is likely to be at that location or the previous light that the fault is.
The board pictured seems to be set right but might be worth, flicking the dolly switches down and back up.
Unless there is another distribution board covering more circuits or your bedroom light is connected to a fuse spur or plug, or of course the lamp/bulb has blown!

Apart from what has already been said - and just to be clear - it is worth your trying your replacement lamp elsewhere to be sure it works. Not all new lamps do work.

yea always test with a known working lamp before worrying.

Also, rough putting all socket circuits one RCD and all ltg on the other. Just no excuse for it.

I suspect there's an unresolved borrowed neutral :/

I would hope that's why he's put them all on the same RCD and not just because he's a tool.

That was my first thought, then I realised it was a board change and not a rewire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back