Faulty Fuse Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For over a week now we have been having problems with our main lighting. We would switch on the living room lights, then the fluorescents (2 on one switch) in the kitchen. The living room lights would flicker madly, then go out altogether. Other times the living room lights would go out when the landing light was switched on and, last night, the landing light went out when a bedroom light was put on. When all this happened, none of the other lights in the house worked either. My husband's tightened all the connections, changed the dimmer switch in the living room back to an ordinary one, changed one of the fluorescents in the kitchen for an ordinary light socket, changed bulbs etc. Each time the lights went off they came on again of their own accord a few hours later. We thought we'd cracked it until it started again today. This time, I was stood next to the fuse box in the cupboard under the stairs and, as the lights flickered, a "clicking" noise came from the fuse box. This is one of the old-fashioned fuse boxes, the house being 50 years old but this is the first time we've had any problems with it. My husband checked all the fuses, but could find nothing wrong with them.

Can my husband fix this or is it time to throw in the towel and have a new consumer unit fitted?

Sponsored Links
That noise sounds like arcing because of a poor connection and if it was coming from the CU, it is likely the loose connection is there.

When was the last time the electrics were updated? There is a chance your husband can fix the problem (a loose connection in the CU or perished cables) but it is highly likely something else would go wrong sooner rather than later.

Are the cables rubber insulated? This is a sign of an old installation and really should be replaced ASAP. It will probably be easier and cheaper to have the house rewired than have remedial work done as and when things go wrong.

Another issue with old installations is the lack of earthing and bonding conductors. Could you post a picture of your consumer unit, meter and cutout? This will help us to give you more useful info.

Davy

The cables are plastic covered and hubby says there's no problem with earthing and bonding conductors. I guess the fuse box is the original one. We moved in when the house was 16 years old and we have been here 30 years now and it hasn't been replaced since we've been here. I'll take a photo this afternoon and post it asap. Thanks for you help.

Edna

Sponsored Links
No offence Edna, but is your 'hubby' an electrician? The majority of people with dangerous electrics tend to think things are fine until something goes wrong, by which time it is too late. It is unlikely that a 30+ year old installation has sufficiently sized earthing and bonding conductors unless these have been upgraded during your time there - if they have then you can ignore most of what I just said.

As mentioned, a clicking/buzzing noise from the consumer unit sounds like arcing, which occurs mainly during a poor connection at the terminals. The problem with old consumer units is that not all live parts can be isolated and some remain live even when the main switch it opened making it unsafe for unqualified persons to attempt a seemingly simple remedy.

I would call an electrician in to check things over, confirm earthing/bonding is up to scratch and perform any important work needed for your safety.

Davy

edhed1uk said:
We moved in when the house was 16 years old and we have been here 30 years now and it hasn't been replaced since we've been here.

30 + 16 = 46

it is now 2007.

That dates your installation to 1961.

You will almost certainly have a 60A brown 4 way wylex fuse box, rubber wiring, earth to the sockets only.

I read your post out to my hubby, Davy, and he agreed with everything you said. He has removed the remaining fluorescent light in the kitchen so now the lights in the living room only flicker once when we switch other lights on! There's no "clicking" coming from the fuse box either but I don't think the problem's gone away.

We will take your advice and have a new unit fitted.

I've asked for a photo to be uploaded but I guess you won't need it now.

Thank you to everybody for trying to help. It is much appreciated.

Edna

Gosh that's an old one! Though it looks neatly done and in good condition. The cables appear to be PVC and no deterioration is obvious in the pic.

Time for rejuvenation, I think!

As it has old ceramic rewirable fusecarriers, there may well be wear or erosion in the contacts, especially where the fuseholder go in. You might find scorch marks on the prongs of the fuse carrier.

Otherwise it could be a loose connection, or even a crack in the ceramic. If there has been a loose connection in the past, sparking may have eroded the connection. It may also be the switch, which is a moving part so can wear out or get loose.

I can't see any earth wires, which is very worrying.
The tails look undersized.

That sort of era could even have asbestos flash pads in the fuse holders, take care.

Thank you for those kind words, JohnD, considering this fuse box is younger than I am!!

Hubby agrees it's time to fork out for a new one. We should probably have the whole house rewired while we're at it. Oh boy, not something to look forward to but c'est la vie and all that (and it's a good excuse to redecorate!).

Thank you all again for your help and advice.

Edna

didn't see that

it could be swapped with the one from lower left.

On 2nd thoughts, maybe it's the r/h one that is disused...

You were right, there is a crack in the bottom fuse carrier. The fuse for the lighting is the left hand one. There are earth wires, too, they just don't show up in the photo (Lord Lichfield I ain't!). There is another fuse box underneath the one in the photo. This is a newer one, installed about 20 years ago, and there are earth wires from the fuse box in the photo down into the newer box.

Since we removed both fluorescents in the kitchen the lights have settled down and are not causing any more problems. There are no strange noises, either, from the fuse box itself.

I understand, though, the necessity for having a new one installed and we are going to make enquiries next week about doing just that.

Thank you once again for your invaluable help.

Edna

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back