Can you use block paving bricks to repair broken manhole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my drive done; Tarmac with block paved edges.

When the grabber drove over the manhole it partially caved in. One course of brick and a lot of concrete fell in. So they were going to rebuild it. I have to say, they did a good job of clearing and flushing the drain.

Came home... saw the manhole... thought "that doesnt look right" so I got a spirit level and a measure out. The manhole is 1 foot away from the nearest edge yet its 55mm higher and at an angle, different angle to the drive. Obviously, it's not their finest work.

I thought I'd check how they had rebuilt it. They've used the block paving bricks and lots of mortar. Is this ok? I know those bricks are way narrower and thinner than the old ones. Will they stand the test of time?

Sponsored Links
The blocks are made of concrete! How long does concrete last?

Can't vouch for the quality though.

My googling says brick manholes should use English bond with engineering bricks. Also saw something which said a concrete paver drive is only good for 8 years. Obivously, that doesnt mean its going to disappear after 8 years...

saw something which said a concrete paver drive is only good for 8 years
Lol. Where did you see that nonsense?

You've obviously not looked into many concrete ring chambers. Still going since the 50's , apparently.

Sponsored Links
I would think all pavers are made to last and are fully frost proof.

The top part of a manhole chamber hardly gets wet, its only a spacer to get up to ground level.

We used to do the drainage, kerbing etc for a tarmac firm. They would sometimes (I guess when the Clerk of Works had caught them out) call us back to replace the bits of scrap timber they had used to raise the ironworks with brick.

I think the main reason for specifying engineering bricks in a manhole is they will hold water, so if the drain blocks and the manhole fills it doesn't just leak out into the surrounding soil.

I'm not sure using paving bricks at the top of the manhole is the end of the world but from the sounds of it they have bodged it anyway so it will probably all have to come out and be done again so why not do it properly next time? I mean how much are engineering bricks these days, 50p each? They just couldn't be bothered to go down the builders merchants and get them.

I mean how much are engineering bricks these days, 50p each? They just couldn't be bothered to go down the builders merchants and get them.
What are you saying, that they should lay one course of engineering bricks with full frogs in 9" English bond with weather struck joints and a 200mm wide mortar flaunch around the frame on top of the 9" brickwork, and that will be a better job?

And that assumes that the ground level is exactly 75mm + frame above, else they need to cut the bricks to rake to do the "correct" job to go with the "correct" bricks.

What are you saying, that they should lay one course of engineering bricks with full frogs in 9" English bond with weather struck joints and a 200mm wide mortar flaunch around the frame on top of the 9" brickwork, and that will be a better job?

And that assumes that the ground level is exactly 75mm + frame above, else they need to cut the bricks to rake to do the "correct" job to go with the "correct" bricks.

The OP said a course of bricks fell out so it's not exactly rocket science to rebuild a course of bricks.

Mind you, knowing what your average tarmac gang is like I can just imagine that rebuilding a course of bricks might as well be reassembling the main engine on the Space Shuttle.

It's a shame cus the bricky who did it (I assume its the same guy who's been here for the last 2 weeks) did next door a lovely looking wall. Pointing was spot on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back