can you use hot water when the rads are emptey on a combi bo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i would like to plum an aga into my heating system & was told i couldent leave the system connected to my worcester 240, even thouge we only use it for hot water. when i draned the rad's and used the hot suppley it was fine for 3 min then started bounsing and triped the reset. has anyone got any iders on whether i should be able to plum the aga into system and leve it conected to boiler(i know i will have to put an open tank feed in) or wether i can run the boiler with no water on the rad side. or any other iders welcome. cheers

Sponsored Links
Your combi needs to have at least 1/2 bar pressure in the heating circuit for it to operate on hw or ch mode.
An open vent system cannot provide such pressure.

There are ways in which you can presurise the system to enable the hw to operate and then link the heating circuit up to a seperate heat source ie your Aga.

Pete

cheers for that, could i cut the flow and return and link them together, with a filling loop valve in the middle, then re pressurize the system?

Can you pipe up one rad to it temporarily so that there is some flow to assist the dissipation of heat . :D

Sponsored Links
the idea is that the boiler wont be used at all for ch, only being used for hot water. i wont to by pass boiler and connect all the rads to an aga, but still use the boiler for hot water, apparently the ch side of boiler needs a min of half bar pressure in, pressumerbley to keep the cross over valve working properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back