Can you wallpaper over existing paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has got me doing several jobs like everyone else under lockdown .. So next is my daughters bedroom that she wants wallpapering.. She's picked out a superfresco paper and the paper on the wall already is a thin paper with a teenage girl theme , loads of Polaroid pics etc . Can I paper over the existing paper or will it need to come off first?

Sponsored Links
Good evening Abs, as you have a bit more time on your hands do it properly and strip it off. Superfresco is a great paper to work with and will cover a multitude of sins you might unearth when taking off the existing skin. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the paper you currently have up, how well it is stuck down, what the paper is like and if adhesive will stick to it, if its glossy or textured thats a no, maybe it will stick, maybe it will not.

It is possible, I have come across multiple layers of paper many times however it was likely more absorbent paper, all this paste the wall, shiny paper etc. is different now.

Is your teenage daughter going to help you with this?
Teach her how to decorate her own room and maybe you won't have to do it ever again :)

Thanks guys.. I think the most the daughter will do is probably help peel off the old paper which is what I'll do, seeing I've got time on my hands . Another thing, would I need to apply lining paper once I get the old stuff off or can I apply straight to wall without any other treatment.. I think when we put the first paper up we applied a white sealant to the wall because it was plasterboard walls. Will we need to apply this again?

The white stuff was probably pva bond , good idea to recoat with it. I would always use lining paper, an 800 grade should do . Then on with the fresco.

Just so you get the right stuff , £3.99 a litre will do. Good luck.

Attachments

• 60EE7876-0D95-4F07-AF6B-2E266B46562D.jpeg
    60EE7876-0D95-4F07-AF6B-2E266B46562D.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 43111EFA-F006-454A-818D-9A40DF305D9C.jpeg
    43111EFA-F006-454A-818D-9A40DF305D9C.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 114
Another quick question guys, for a feature wall which is a brick effect do you always have to start in the middle of the room or can I start at the side?

Does the feature wall consist of a chimney breast?

No its in my daughters bedroom behind her bed.. Just to break up the room a bit.. The other walls are a rose gold fresco and the brick paper is from the range and colour.

As long as the joints are butted you shouldn’t need to go from the middle. Just make sure the first piece is plumb.

So far so good , just the one wall to complete tomorrow then we move onto the dining room
IMG_20200506_182528.jpg
IMG_20200506_182516.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back