Candle Wax On Linoleum & Damage To Stair Carpet - Moving Out Rented House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I am moving out of my house , my landlord has had a look around my house to let me know what i need to fix before i leave. He noticed a worn area on a vertical area of the stair carpet and is insisting i have to attend to this before i leave. To be honest i have no idea if it was there when i moved in or not, its not really that bad but he is within his rights to take the costs off my deposit. So guys any idea how to fix this professionally or is it a case of replacing the entire carpet, if so i would be better claiming off my home insurance. Its on the very top stair. See pic.

Another problem is i spilled red candle wax onto the kitchen linoleum, it wont come off using the hair drier method or using some halfords electrical spray contact cleaner. ANy ideas how to remove the stains from the candle wax?

20181009-205018.jpg
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Stair carpet should come under reasonable wear and tear unless you have only been there a week? For wax ,Hot iron over paper towel, keep it moving and check absorption.

Stair carpet should come under reasonable wear and tear unless you have only been there a week? For wax ,Hot iron over paper towel, keep it moving and check absorption.

Thanks for your reply. How sure can we be the adjudicator will see it that way? I have been here 2 years, it also has a bit of hard glue or something in amongst the bare area. Its one of those things, who they believe. You know how landlords seem to always get very expensive quotes when it comes to making/ taking money from your deposit. Its better if i can fix it myself even if i have use my insurance. I would rather not repair it.

Ill try the iron on the candle wax thanks for the tip.

L/lord would be a tit to take it that far , but on a stairs you could have the carpet replaced on the affected step only. Any decent carpet fitter could sort it, might even source the carpet ( looks a fairly standard beige).

Sponsored Links
L/lord would be a tit to take it that far , but on a stairs you could have the carpet replaced on the affected step only. Any decent carpet fitter could sort it, might even source the carpet ( looks a fairly standard beige).

Thanks for your reply. Yes i would not mind paying for it to be patched only on that one step, i have emailed him to ask if thats acceptable or not. Yes he is a complete tit and i would love someone to shoot him ha ha. :)

I just got round to trying the hot iron method and it did not work. So goodness knows if im going to have to replace the vinyl flooring, he has not seen it but im sure he will when i move out and he will take the cost off of my deposit. If i fix it now i can do it through my insurance.

20181029-203153.jpg

he has not seen it but im sure he will when i move out and he will take the cost off of my deposit..
They may, they may not. Impossible for anyone but the landlord to know.

If i fix it now i can do it through my insurance.
Why?
Option 1 - move out. Landlord might charge for the 'damage'.
Option 2 - claim on your insurance, pay the excess, enjoy paying higher premiums for the next 5 years - assuming you actually have accidental damage cover. The landlord could still complain and charge as they might not like the standard of the repairs, or the carpet was the wrong colour, or the flooring didn't quite match or any one of 100 other things in the property they could get busted up over.

Ultimately if the landlord is going to be difficult, there is nothing you can do about it.
Clean the place to a decent standard and move out.

Premium got guaranteed to rise , claimed £950 on my contents insurance , moved insurance comp and cut my premium by 20%.

Thanks for your reply. I have had my premiums rise in the past but it was not by that much. Its worth it to get a payout on the accident.

They may, they may not. Impossible for anyone but the landlord to know.

Why?
Option 1 - move out. Landlord might charge for the 'damage'.
Option 2 - claim on your insurance, pay the excess, enjoy paying higher premiums for the next 5 years - assuming you actually have accidental damage cover. The landlord could still complain and charge as they might not like the standard of the repairs, or the carpet was the wrong colour, or the flooring didn't quite match or any one of 100 other things in the property they could get busted up over.

Ultimately if the landlord is going to be difficult, there is nothing you can do about it.
Clean the place to a decent standard and move out.

I have decided to make a claim on the insurance. Once i have left the property its too late. If the landlord sees it which i think he will (its quite obvious) then he will get a overpriced quote (as landlord do) for a cheap as chips replacement. I would rather pay the excess on my insurance and not get ripped off of a few hundred quid after i leave.

The landlord is difficult, i think i became a pain in his ass because there was so many things that needed attention and fixed. We had a few run ins so he is out for my blood lol. Well deposit money. ;)

Landlords will withhold monies from deposits to repair things like this. letting agencies will do it, landlords do it - they charge huge amounts when you leave because they can.

For the carpet, take your photo to some small carpet shops (not the big multi nationals) and ask them if they can source a replacement piece for 1 step (measure the width, also height and depth of the step it's on.

Also ask in a small shop that sells lino how best to clean it - they must come across this regularly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back