Cannot Remove Double Cylinder Lock from uPVC Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short, five days ago, my missus lost her keys so as a precautionary measure I decided to replace the locks on both the front and back doors. They are uPVC doors with Yale euro double cylinder locks. I removed my old cylinders to measure them to make sure I ordered the correct sizes. The front door was no problem but I did find the back door a little awkward, however I did manage to remove it in the end. After measuring them I naturally replaced the original cylinders until my new ones arrived. Anyway, I received them yesterday and replaced the one on the front door, which took me all of two minutes, if that! However, when I come to do the one on the back door I encountered a major problem. The old cylinder came halfway out but wouldn't budge any further, and no amount of jiggling or key turning will make it come out any further!

I feel it's worth mentioning that I remembered (albeit when it was too late) that when I took the cylinder out two days earlier to measure, I did so by pulling the cylinder from the outside of the door but now I was trying to remove it from the other side. I didn't think this would make any difference but now the cylinder isn't even allowing me to push it back to its original position - and because it's protruding halfway out we haven't been able to lock the back door. The cylinder will move back and forth slightly but it's as though something is preventing it from moving any further. The cam is aligned correctly so I really am confused as to what can be causing this.

Before I resort to calling in a locksmith is there anything I can do to prise the cylinder free? Preferably something that won't damage the door mechanism. I keep telling myself that if it went in, it should come out. Would it help if I removed the metal strip that runs the entire length of the door's edge or would that just make matters worse?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
as you have a key to the 1 your having problems with,i suggest you try to turn the key and gently pushing the lock back in at the same time,
the way these locks are made the snib doesnt sit within itself with the key out,so you need the key to remove them.

Hi gregers,

Thanks for your quick response but just to clarify, I only took the key out while I was taking the photos to show it with and without. However, the key was always in the lock during my attempts to remove the cylinder and of course to ensure the cam wasn't offset.

The good news is since posting my problem, I have somehow and surprisingly managed to remove the old cylinder and install the new one :D I'm still totally baffled as to what caused the problem in the first place but at least I'll be able to lock the back door before I go to bed tonight. ;)

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back