Cannot service boiler without safety rail around loft hatch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a British Gas engineer over to service our boiler. He said that next time they come to service it there would need to me to install a safety rail around the loft hatch as the boiler is within 2m of the hatch otherwise they will not do it!!

Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
build a hatch you can walk on to plug into the hole in the floor
this may include cutting back the loft flooring half the timber width to give the hatch a lip to sit on

Get a local guy in.
Provided it is boarded to the boiler he will be quite happy.
I would be.

Sponsored Links
Well we have one of the BG service contracts!
They have never had any problems until the last time (Had it for years) Its boarded up to the boiler and has loads of light.

Well we have one of the BG service contracts!
They have never had any problems until the last time (Had it for years) Its boarded up to the boiler and has loads of light.

Thats the problem, The boiler is getting old and BG will be looking for ways to get out of the contract.

I have come across this rule with a local plumbing firm.

However, the carpenter wouldn't go into the loft because ...

Of course, only joking about the carpenter but logically if the same rule applies to everyone then there is no solution.

Elfen safe tea gawn maad.

Has anyone ever seen a safety rail on a loft install. I haven't and when I asked my GSR inspector if he had he had to admit he hadn't in 99.9% of cases

Ive serviced boilers in the loft but never again if they aren't floored and well lit. Only takes a couple of weyroc boards and a strip light (plug in or permanent). I've lost too many tools/close shaves falling etc to do it now. Mate of mine put his foot through the ceiling a while back, he got £70 for the service and paid out £90 to get the ceiling fixed.

build a hatch you can walk on to plug into the hole in the floor
this may include cutting back the loft flooring half the timber width to give the hatch a lip to sit on

You might be onto something there!

I'm sure they will have some health and safety issue with that too!

It's a safety thing they took in about 4 years ago.
It's generally up to discretion of engineer if they are happy to work on or not.

In my time there I only refused once, didn't fancy changing Isar heat engine whilst standing on wobbly loft ladder.

It's not against gas safety regs I'm sure, they would have left you a San (safety advice notice) which basically recommends you act on it.
If it is the same as it was when it was initially brought in contract then I would raise this with them if they refuse in future.

We had a British Gas engineer over to service our boiler. He said that next time they come to service it there would need to me to install a safety rail around the loft hatch as the boiler is within 2m of the hatch otherwise they will not do it!!

Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks

Simon

I will not get into a loft unless there is a solid staircase with polished handrails. Plus of course the safety rail around the loft hatch, runway lights leading me towards the water tank and an evacuation plan in case of emergency. Would be nice to have a bar up there too with a couple of squashy sofas and an Xbox.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What a woos!

It's a safety thing they took in about 4 years ago.
It's generally up to discretion of engineer if they are happy to work on or not.

+1

i've never requested a handrail be fitted but i know some of my colleagues do.

I have however had this pleasure before, i mean what tit fitted the boiler like that
View media item 10273

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back