Can't buy a door spindle :(

Yeh, sorry about that guys, our bad :oops:

I was always pretty certain that I was going to do physics, from the age of 11, but I enjoyed chemistry right up until A-level. Unfortunately I found A-Level chemistry less fun and rather much like hard work (perhaps having a heavily dyslexic teacher didn't help my understanding of the equations :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough, it seemed to me that at degree level, chemistry became physics, physics became mathematics, and mathematics became a form of art :LOL: very odd !! I always found physical, and theoretical chem easiest, followed by inorganic, and trailing in a miserable last place organic chem, far too difficult !! Strangely though we only really touched on transmutational chemistry... or is that physics ?

Your probably right there! Mathematicians do spend a lot of time and effort working on the "elegance" of an equation.

Just an update on the door spindle: yesterday I turned the door handle to leave my bathroom... it span. "Oh bother it", I quietly said :eek:

Turns out that the slot in the door handles runs a lot deeper than it originally appeared to, the spindle (which it now seems is a good inch or two too short) had dislocated into the handle on the outside of the door... no problem really, unless you live on your own! :evil:

By a stroke of luck, I had a screwdriver set in the bathroom (sometimes things need to be poked :LOL: ) so was able to free myself without too much drama.

Means I am back to square 1! Well, I'll be taking back the (still immaculately packed) donor door-handle set to Wickes explaining that the spindle isn't long enough to get through the door without risk of dislocation... will be interested to see if they take it back! :LOL: Failing that, I'll tell them it was too expensive ;)

You obviously have the kind if handle that is attached to the door plate rather than the spindle. Why not push something into each handle - a piece of rubber would do nicely - so that the spindle cannot go too far in.

chemistry became physics

It does doesn't it! What happened to all those great experiments with ammonium dichromate volcanoes and nitrogen tri-iodide exploding filter paper? The sad fact is that at some point you are expected to understand exactly how they work. From what little I know of 'proper' chemistry it seems to be all about energy levels and probabilities; that's physics and maths to me.

physics became mathematics

Even at A-level, the distinction between physics and applied maths is blurred. I did a part time physical electronics degree and it was nearly all maths. Nine times out of ten if some poor s*d couldn't keep up it was the maths that had finished them.

mathematics became a form of art

I was a mathematician before I switched to physical electronics and it's certainly true of what we called 'pure' mathematics. Those guys (they're mostly male) are completely wrapped up in their theories. I'm sure there was a Frenchman who just had to ask whether two and two always made four. (That's oversimplifying the problem a bit.) He spent ten years proving it and went mad.

Sponsored Links
Back