Can't Change A Light Bulb!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds hopeless does'nt it!
I have a R63 screw-in spotlight bulbs in my kitchen. However, one of the bulbs have blown but I cannot take the bulb out because it won't unscrew :evil: The bulb is fitted into the ceiling with a black plastic surround and then brass. I am afraid to try and pull the fitting out of the ceiling as I do not want to cause any damage to the ceiling. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove this pesky bulb :?:
Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you can't get it out as is, you'll have to remove the fitting from the ceiling I'm afraid.

you could try smashing it and then grabbing the glass stalk with pliers and turning.

make sure you turn off the power before trying that though.

Sponsored Links
TURN OFF THE POWER TO THE LIGHT FITTING.

Place your thumbs inside the fitting as best you can, between the black plastic & the glass of the lamp.

Put you fingers on the thin edge of the brass bezel. Now grip tightly & pull downwards to ease the fitting towards the floor.

If the bezel is painted in, you may need to go round it with a knife blade to break that seal.

A rubber 'suction cup', as used for fitting hooks etc. on tiles can be useful.

Or superglue something on the front of the old lamp as a handle

Problem is, the bulb will still be inside the fitting and taking the fitting out of the ceiling achieves zip.

Isolate the power, put on some goggles and smash the light with the back of a screwdriver / heavy object.

Then use pliers to remove light from fitting. If the light is really tight, try twisting it 8th of a turn in both directions to loosen it off.

Chri5 said:
Problem is, the bulb will still be inside the fitting and taking the fitting out of the ceiling achieves zip.

The fitting may well need replacing, so removing it is actually useful.

Isolate the power, put on some goggles and smash the light with the back of a screwdriver / heavy object.

Then use pliers to remove light from fitting. If the light is really tight, try twisting it 8th of a turn in both directions to loosen it off.

Don't you think this would be easier to do removed from the ceiling??

It is easier to fiddle with something which is in front of you rather than hanging from the ceiling.

Try using double sided sellotape or similar to stick an can onto the face of the bulb and then twist the can.. Blue tack has been known to do this for a not very stuck bulb. A rubber sucker ( on an arrow from a childs toy box works for small bulbs )

I've just removed a reluctant R63 using blue tack on my thumb and first 2 fingers which I pressed firmly (and carefully) onto the outer edge of the bulb. It was enough to provide the first bit of movement and then I unstuck my fingers and did it again. Worked a treat.

One of the R63s in our ceiling fan used to seize. Once sheared the bulb off at the top of the thread. Had to use pair of longnose pliers in the threaded part - grabed the edge and twisted, pliers bit into the metal and I had a sort of tin opener arrangement (like those tins of spam/corned beef with a key) which continued to spiral down the thread as I wound the pliers round and round - after a while 50% of the thread was wound around the pliers and the rest came loose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back