Cant drill into wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to put some new blinds up and when drilling I cant drill past a certain point i seem to have hit something which seems like steel?

Any ideas on what i need to do? or what i have just hit?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
If you live in a fairly new house the chances are you have hit a Catnic lintel which is a steel lintel which spans the window. In an older house you may have hit the steel bar in a concrete lintel.
If a newish house you can stop when you hit the steel and continue drilling with a 4mm HSS drill bit until you are through the steel and then drive your screw through the steel.
If an older property then try drilling 20mm higher or lower and you may well miss the steel and just have concrete to drill into again.

Hi,

I am trying to put some new blinds up and when drilling I cant drill past a certain point i seem to have hit something which seems like steel?

Any ideas on what i need to do? or what i have just hit?

Thanks in advance :)
you need to be up high to push the drill with the maximum pressure you can, a high speed drill bit will get through steel.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
If you live in a fairly new house the chances are you have hit a Catnic lintel which is a steel lintel which spans the window. In an older house you may have hit the steel bar in a concrete lintel.
If a newish house you can stop when you hit the steel and continue drilling with a 4mm HSS drill bit until you are through the steel and then drive your screw through the steel.
If an older property then try drilling 20mm higher or lower and you may well miss the steel and just have concrete to drill into again.
If it is steel, then you wont need plugs & wood screws, you need self tapping screws, so dont go & drill a big hole. You will get a much better fix if it is steel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back