Can't find radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm having real trouble with my son's radiator so thought I seek help here. It's always warm ish at the bottom and cold at the top.

I've bled all radiators except this as I can't open the valve. The only part on it that looks like a valve is shown in the pics attached. All other rads are really easy with standard valves.

This was first rad in the circuit until we got a loft conversion and now I'm guessing the top one is. Either way, can anyone help me out of this sorry state of affairs so I can bleed the rad and return to my wife as the manly master of DIY in our household again?

Sponsored Links
That was the bleed screw, its been sheared off by the looks of it.

You used to be able to get replacement bleed screws. I think thats a 1/4" thread

Sponsored Links
I suspect the screw has been sheared off in the middle of the nut.
You might be able to unscrew the whole valve assuming it has not been welded into the rad and take it into a plumbers merchant to see if they have something to fit, with luck it may be 1/2 BSP thread, which is a standard size.
Use lots of ptfe tape or else Fernox LSX on the thread when refitting.

Turn off both valves and count the number of turns you make to close the lockshield (the one at the opposite end to the one you normally use) open it the same amount when you turn them back on again.

Edit
petit_pablo has a point it may well be 1/4 but the merchant will sort you out.

you can bleed the rad by loosening the nut out a bit if desperate. Its a myson radiator and yes you can buy/get replacements. Plumbcenter round my way used to keep a bowl of em behind the counter.

Turn rad off at both ends/valves remove and replace simple

A plumber would just loosen the nut to let air out.

Then tell the customer to remind them to bring a new one when they come to do the next boiler service!

Tony

Thank you very much for all your help. I now have a plan of action and the information to finally do something about this. If I can sort this and avoid a 3yr old coming into our bed at 6am because he woke up cold, then I will be eternally grateful!

Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back