Can't find the meaning of an acronym

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi: Today, I arranged to have our carpets and three-piece suite cleaned. The man that came to give us a quotation seemed perfectly genuine. However, on his entry in a trade directory, and on his business card, it states that he is "NTACI approved".

Being of a curious (but no suspicious) turn of mind, I looked up this acronym on the web in a few directories of acronym meanings, and could find no trace of NTACI. Is anyone able to enlighten me as to what it means? The advert and card also states that this firm is fully insured. Naturally, there is no way of checking whether this is true, either.

I shall continue with the arrangement that has been made, as I expect that this firm will do a good job. However, I can't help being very puzzled (and, perhaps, a bit sceptical, if not suspicious).
Thanks in advance, for any informed replies that may be posted.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
I'd hold off until your gut feeling is solved...
Bodd, feeling quite frustrated, I rang the man after reading your reply (after all, he had said that, if I had any questions, I could ring him). He said that it stands for the "National Academy For the Cleaning Industry". I did find something relevant to that, on the web.
With kind regards,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Is it a nationally recognised organisation? Anyone could call theirselves that.....

Acronyms are the bane of the English language! I once got a meeting stopped because I didn't understand a word of what the speaker was on about.
I was supposed to give a response for the company I worked for because I had been seconded to Heinz as the company 'on site engineering manager'.
The CEO of Heinz congratulated me for my forthrightness and admitted he never understood what was being said at these meetings so always had to ask his, (male), secretary afterwards what had been going on. Half the time his secretary didn't know either. From then on all acronyms were banned and plain English was the order of the day.

When i joined on of the largest computer companies in the world in 1982, as part of the induction we got handed a BOOK with all the Acronyms !!!!!

When i joined on of the largest computer companies in the world in 1982, as part of the induction we got handed a BOOK with all the Acronyms !!!!!
I see what you did there. BOOK - Bundle Of Objective Knowledge. :whistle:

A chap I once knew said when passing a conversation like this:
"Eeee, we never had tla's in the RAF!" (TLA= Three Letter Anacronym)

Lol

Acronyms are shared amongst those in the know, in a way that automatically makes you an outsider if you don't and usually garners a disdainful 'snort' from the knowledgeable towards the unwashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back