Can't find the right flexible hose connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't have time to take photos but hope I make sense!

For my bathroom mixer tap, I have a 15mm isolation valve on each pipe coming up out of the floor. The tap connects to them with flexible hoses.

I have bought another tap but the hoses that came with it are not long enough to reach the 15mm isolation valves.

I can't use the existing hoses because the inlets of the new tap are a smaller size.

Therefore, I'm thinking the solution for this is to simply extend the new hoses with extra 300mm ones. The problem is I can't find 300mm hoses where the connectors are the same at each end like in the photo below.

41ak7ut9ldl-jpg.185108

Are they available? I just can't find any, preferably in Screwfix or similar.

Please excuse my ignorance!

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Attachments

• 41Ak7uT9LDL.jpg
    41Ak7uT9LDL.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 579
Sponsored Links
Inlets to mixer taps are usually M8 or M10 but I agree with the ideas above.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Thanks very much.
It might not cost me anything if I can find a bit of pipe in my garage.

I didn't need them thanks.

I found some pipe (took a while to get the paint off!) , a couple of olives and two nuts off some other join.

Seems to have done the trick.

img_20200303_073240-jpg.185143

Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_073240.jpg
    IMG_20200303_073240.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 519
You don't put PTFE tape on the threads of anything BTW, it only goes onto the olives, if anywhere. It does absolutely nothing ( and just looks silly ;))

You don't put PTFE tape on the threads of anything BTW, it only goes onto the olives, if anywhere. It does absolutely nothing ( and just looks silly ;))
Yep I agree, as soon as I see tape on a joint I know what sort of person did it.

Okay, thanks for the tip.
I did first install without PTFE but there were drips so I used it and now there's no drips.
Maybe something else was in play.
Thanks again.

Maybe something else was in play
Yup, the loosening and tightening has probably just seated the olives properly - it's the olives inside the compression fitting that creates the watertight seal, nothing to do with the threads - so no leaks

Should I leave it as it is or remove the PTFE?
Would it cause problems?
Thanks again.

Should I leave it as it is or remove the PTFE?
Would it cause problems?.

Leave as is, it works - don’t fix it. Just something to remember for future reference. If you undo them now you risk a leak. If you wanted to tidy it up, carefully trim with a utility/hobby knife.

Edit: just view pictures again, and you may be able to unravel the tape in situ.

Only thing worth using on compression joints is a little jointing compound, (type suitable for use with potable water). Helps lubricate the thread and makes the joint easier to tighten up and less likely to leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back