Can't get into Windows Live Messenger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not that I want to - but my daughters do!

This site seems to give us the worse problem but there are others. I'm on a talk talk broadband connection and generally have no problems with connection but sometimes just cannot log onto a site. Sometimes ebay just won't load; sometimes I can't open email attachments or attach files to emails.

Has any one got any ideas? I'm thinking it must have something to do with my settings but can't find anything obvious. I can't understand why it's an occasional problem (except Live Messenger which we haven't been able to access for weeks)

Any help gratefully accepted so I can get two teenage girls off my case

Sponsored Links
Have you done any housekeeping lately?

Disk cleanup, defragment etc.?

Anti-virus/spyware software up to date and scans performed?

Yes done all that.

It's really strange; like at the moment no problem with this site but can't get onto ebay

Sponsored Links
I suspect there may be a conflict with talktalk software and windows live messanger. I too have talktalk about three weeks ago installed and try to sign up on live messanger and lost completely the connection to talktalk.Three times I tried this and each time had the same result. Each time having to backtrack to a system restore point to get my connection back. I emailed talktalk technical to ask if they knew of any conflict and they replied I must ring a premium charge telephone number to make enquiries, as I thought it may be in their interest as well as mine I decided not to finance that. I have since downloaded other free similar software for the purpose and now have no problem.

Which browser are you using, and have you cleared its cache?

It's Internet Explorer and I don't know what you mean about clearing the cache.

It's a really strange fault, if I go to ebay.com I can log onto any worldwide site, (brazil, Ireland,Australia, literally all of them) but not UK

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Roofer said:
It's Internet Explorer and I don't know what you mean about clearing the cache.
Close all instances of IE, then use Control Panel->Internet Options, Delete Files (and tick Delete all offline content).

It's a really strange fault
To be pedantic, and problably quite irritating, all faults are strange.

if I go to ebay.com I can log onto any worldwide site, (brazil, Ireland,Australia, literally all of them) but not UK
Have you checked to see if the UK site has been added to the "restricted sites" list in IE?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
This sounds like it could be a number of things:

Anti-virus - try turning it off and logging in to MSN Messenger - don't forget to turn it back on!

Internet Security settings - internet options security - stick it to low to try it out.....then move it up to medium if it works; or

a firewall problem - if you've installed the latest version of Messenger you can go into "Tools" "Options" click on "Connection" and run the troubleshooter. That may help you out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you (or your kids) have downloaded the latest version of messenger it needs full access through your firewall before it can connect properly - I've been on the beta for a while but I think it is now released - Version 8...Open messenger and click on "Help" and then "About Messenger" to find the version.

If so, check out this link....

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!3669.entry

If your firewall is built in to your router, you might find instruction on the manufacturers site.

Thanks for all your ideas.

Live Messenger is working OK tonight but still can't log into ebay; but it is an intermittant fault so I suppose it will work again soon.

Sponsored Links
Back