Can't get mortar mix consistency right. Is it me or the sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to install a patio and got to the stage when I am about to lay the slabs but I can't get the mortar mix right. The mortar is very loose and grainy and doesn't seem to bind. I also can't get it to hold into a ball no matter how much or little water I put in.

The mix is cement, sharp sand and water. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Here is a video of my mortar mix.
https://streamable.com/nvbwmv

And here is a picture of the sand I'm using. Does it look right?

IMG_20210819_134739.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210819_134739.jpg
    IMG_20210819_134739.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its the wrong sand. You need building sand for what you are doing

Thanks. Isn't sharp sand the recommended sand to use for mortar mix? That appears to be what most other websites say. I was more concerned whether the sand I had was sharp sand or not.

What do you think of the consistency in the video?

Sharp sand is a pig to work with; ordinary building sand used for mortar is easier to use and would be OK for spot-bedding flags.
(edited)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think I watched too much youtube videos to try and get the perfect mortar mix! My less than perfect looking mortar actually seems to still do the trick

Sharp sand is what's recommended officially for basic patios, as a relatively dry and lean mix. It doesn't need to stick together and it won't, if it's a dry mix it would only be able to sit there until it goes hard.
They don't recommend wet mix due to staining on fancy natural stone flag stones.
We have had good success anecdotally but if you want mortar you can tool into shape you'll need building sand and more water.
I've noticed for commercial paving it's more like concrete with mesh embedded then some kind of dry mix then the blocks, but for a patio that would be a massive pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back